|Subscribers: Log in to read full article. Not a subscriber? Subscribe or purchase article.|
1. WHO. Global tuberculosis control 2011. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO, 2011. Available at http://www.who.int. Accessed March 8, 2012.
2. SD Lawn and AI Zumla. Tuberculosis. Lancet 2011; 378:57.
3. WHO. Multidrug and extensively drug-resistant TB (M/XDR-TB): 2010 global report on surveillance and response. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO, 2010. Available at http://whqlibdoc.who.int. Accessed March 8, 2012.
4. American Thoracic Society; CDC; Infectious Diseases Society of America. Treatment of tuberculosis. MMWR Recomm Rep 2003; 52 (RR11):1.
5. TR Frieden and SS Munsiff. The DOTS strategy for controlling the global tuberculosis epidemic. Clin Chest Med 2005; 26:197.
6. P Lobue and D Menzies. Treatment of latent tuberculosis infection: an update. Respirology 2010; 15:603.
7. Targeted tuberculin testing and treatment of latent tuberculosis infection. American Thoracic Society. MMWR Recomm Rep 2000; 49 (RR06):1.
8. RS Wallis. Tumour necrosis factor antagonists: structure, function, and tuberculosis risks. Lancet Infect Dis 2008; 8:601.
9. I Solovic et al. The risk of tuberculosis related to tumour necrosis factor antagonist therapies: a TBNET consensus statement. Eur Respir J 2010; 36:1185.
10. Which TNF inhibitor for rheumatoid arthritis? Med Lett Drugs Ther 2010; 52:38.
11. JM Aguado et al. Tuberculosis in solid-organ transplant recipients: consensus statement of the Group for the Study of Infection in Transplant Recipients (GESITRA) of the Spanish Society of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology. Clin Infect Dis 2009; 48:1276.
12. NA Martinson et al. New regimens to prevent tuberculosis in adults with HIV infection. N Engl J Med 2011; 365:11.
13. CDC. Recommendations for use of an isoniazid-rifapentine regimen with direct observation to treat latent Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection. MMWR 2011; 60:1650.
14. TR Sterling et al. Three months of rifapentine and isoniazid for latent tuberculosis infection. N Engl J Med 2011; 365:2155.
15. A Lardizabal et al. Enhancement of treatment completion for latent tuberculosis infection with 4 months of rifampin. Chest 2006; 130:1712.
16. D Menzies et al. Adverse events with 4 months of rifampin therapy or 9 months of isoniazid therapy for latent tuberculosis infection: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 2008; 149:689.
17. CDC. Plan to combat extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis: recommendations of the federal tuberculosis task force. MMWR Recomm Rep 2009; 58 (RR-3):1.
18. CDC. Notice to readers: revised definition of extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis. MMWR 2006; 55:1176.
19. GE Thwaites et al. Dexamethasone for the treatment of tuberculous meningitis in adolescents and adults. N Engl J Med 2004; 351:1741.
20. HM Blumberg et al. Update on the treatment of tuberculosis and latent tuberculosis infection. JAMA 2005; 293:2776.
21. W Burman et al. Acquired rifamycin resistance with twice-weekly treatment of HIV-related tuberculosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2006; 173:350.
22. KC Chang et al. Dosing schedules of 6-month regimens and relapse for pulmonary tuberculosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2006; 174:1153.
23. D Yee et al. Incidence of serious side effects from first-line antituberculosis drugs among patients treated for active tuberculosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2003; 167:1472.
24. JJ Saukkonen et al. An official ATS statement: hepatotoxicity of antituberculosis therapy. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2006; 174:935.
25. IG Sia and MLWieland. Current concepts in the management of tuberculosis. Mayo Clin Proc 2011; 86:348.
26. CC Ho et al. Safety of fluoroquinolone use in patients with hepatotoxicity induced by anti-tuberculosis regimens. Clin Infect Dis 2009; 48:1526.
27. JA Caminero. Treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis: evidence and controversies. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 2006; 10:829.
28. JA Caminero et al. Best drug treatment for multidrug-resistant and extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis. Lancet Infect Dis. 2010; 10:621.
29. CD Mitnick et al. Comprehensive treatment of extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis. N Engl J Med 2008; 359:563.
30. WJ Koh et al. Daily 300 mg dose of linezolid for the treatment of intractable multidrug-resistant and extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis. J Antimicrob Chemother 2009; 64:388.
31. ED Chan et al. Treatment and outcome analysis of 205 patients with multi-drug resistant tuberculosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2004; 169:1103.
32. CDC. Managing drug interactions in the treatment of HIV-related tuberculosis. Available at http://www.cdc.gov. Accessed March 9, 2012.
33. CDC. Acquired rifamycin resistance in persons with advanced HIV disease being treated for active tuberculosis with intermittent rifamycin-based regimens. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2002; 51:214.
34. SS Abdool Karim et al. Timing of initiation of antiretroviral drugs during tuberculosis therapy. N Engl J Med 2010; 362:697.
35. DV Havlir et al. Timing of antiretroviral therapy for HIV-1 infection and tuberculosis. N Engl J Med 2011; 365:1482.
36. SS Abdool Karim et al. Integration of antiretroviral therapy with tuberculosis treatment. N Engl J Med 2011; 365:1492.
37. ME Török and JJ Farrar. When to start antiretroviral therapy in HIV-associated tuberculosis. N Engl J Med 2011; 365:1538.
38. CDC. Guidelines for the prevention and treatment of opportunistic infections in HIV infected adults and adolescents: recommendations from the CDC, the National Institute of Health, and the HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. MMWR 2009; 58(RR-4):1.
39. SD Lawn and G Meintjes. Pathogenesis and prevention on immune reconstitution disease during antiretroviral therapy. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 2011; 9:415.
40. ME Török et al. Timing of initiation of antiretroviral therapy in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) – associated tuberculosis meningitis. Clin Infect Dis 2011; 52:1374.
41. G Bothamley. Drug treatment for tuberculosis during pregnancy: safety considerations. Drug Saf 2001; 24:553.
42. CN Mnyani and JA McIntyre. Tuberculosis in pregnancy. BJOG 2011; 118:226.
43. E Palacios et al. Drug-resistant tuberculosis and pregnancy: treatment outcome of 38 cases in Lima, Peru. Clin Infect Dis 2009; 48:1413.
44. SS Munsiff et al. Clinical Policies and Protocols (TB manual), Bureau of Tuberculosis Control, 4th Edition. March 2008, New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, New York, NY. Available at http://www.nyc.gov. Accessed March 12, 2012.
45. World Health Organization. Ethambutol efficacy and toxicity: literature review and recommendations for daily and intermittent dosage in children. Available at http://whqlibdoc.who.int. Accessed March 12, 2012.
46. In brief: fluoroquinolones and tendon injuries. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2008; 50:93.