The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
February 16, 2015
Diet, Drugs, and Surgery for Weight Loss
|Subscribers: Log in to read full article. Not a subscriber? Subscribe or purchase article.|
Diet, Drugs, and Surgery for Weight Loss
February 16, 2015 (Issue: 1462)
- CM Apovian et al. Pharmacological management of obesity: an Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2015 January 15 (epub).
- MD Jensen et al. 2013 AHA/ACC/TOS guideline for the management of overweight and obesity in adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and The Obesity Society. J Am Coll Cardiol 2014; 63:2985.
- FM Sacks et al. Comparison of weight-loss diet with different compositions of fat, protein, and carbohydrates. N Engl J Med 2009; 360:859.
- RJ de Souza et al. Effects of 4 weight-loss diets differing in fat, protein, and carbohydrate on fat mass, lean mass, visceral adipose tissue, and hepatic fat: results from the POUNDS LOST trial. Am J Clin Nutr 2012; 95:614.
- BC Johnston et al. Comparison of weight loss among named diet programs in overweight and obese adults: a meta-analysis. JAMA 2014; 312:923.
- EA Delbridge et al. One-year weight maintenance after significant weight loss in healthy overweight and obese subjects: does diet composition matter? Am J Clin Nutr 2009; 90:1203.
- TM Larsen et al. Diets with high or low protein content and glycemic index for weight-loss maintenance. N Engl J Med 2010; 363:2102.
- MR Lowe et al. Meal replacements, reduced energy density eating, and weight loss maintenance in primary care patients: a randomized controlled trial. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2014; 22:94.
- TA Wadden et al. A two-year randomized trial of obesity treatment in primary care practice. N Engl J Med 2011; 365:1969.
- LJ Appel et al. Comparative effectiveness of weight-loss interventions in clinical practice. N Engl J Med 2011; 365:1959.
- NE Sherwood et al. Enhancing long-term weight loss maintenance: 2 year results from the Keep It Off randomized controlled trial. Prev Med 2013; 56:171.
- SU Dombrowski et al. Long term maintenance of weight loss with non-surgical interventions in obese adults: systematic review and meta-analyses of randomised controlled trials. BMJ 2014; 348:g2646.
- WC Knowler et al. Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metformin. N Engl J Med 2002; 346:393.
- G Li et al. The long-term effect of lifestyle interventions to prevent diabetes in the China Da Qing Diabetes Prevention Study: a 20-year follow-up study. Lancet 2008; 371:1783.
- Look AHEAD Research Group. Long-term effects of a lifestyle intervention on weight and cardiovascular risk factors in individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus: four-year results of the Look AHEAD trial. Arch Intern Med 2010; 170:1566.
- Look AHEAD Research Group. Cardiovascular effects of intensive lifestyle intervention in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2013; 369:145.
- H Jick. Heart valve disorders and appetite-suppressant drugs. JAMA 2000; 283:1738.
- Two drugs for weight loss. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2012; 54:69.
- DB Allison et al. Controlled-release phentermine/topiramate in severely obese adults: a randomized controlled trial (EQUIP). Obesity 2012; 20:330.
- KM Gadde et al. Effects of low-dose, controlled-release, phentermine plus topiramate combination on weight and associated comorbidities in overweight and obese adults (CONQUER): a randomised, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial. Lancet 2011; 377:1341.
- WT Garvey et al. Two-year sustained weight loss and metabolic benefits with controlled-release phentermine/topiramate in obese and overweight adults (SEQUEL): a randomized, placebo-controlled, phase 3 extension study. Am J Clin Nutr 2012; 95:297.
- SZ Yanovski and JA Yanovski. Long-term drug treatment for obesity: a systematic and clinical review. JAMA 2014; 311:74.
- SR Smith et al. Multicenter, placebo-controlled trial of lorcaserin for weight management. N Engl J Med 2010; 363:245.
- Contrave – A combination of bupropion and naltrexone for Weight Loss. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:112.
- Liraglutide (Victoza) for type 2 diabetes. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2010; 52:25.
- A Astrup et al. Safety, tolerability and sustained weight loss over 2 years with the once-daily human GLP-1 analog, liraglutide. Int J Obes (Lond) 2012; 36:843.
- TA Wadden et al. Weight maintenance and additional weight loss with liraglutide after low-calorie-diet-induced weight loss: the SCALE Maintenance randomized study. Int J Obes (Lond) 2013; 37:1443.
- S Jacob et al. Orlistat 120 mg improves glycaemic control in type 2 diabetic patients with or without concurrent weight loss. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2009; 11:361.
- WT Garvey et al. Weight-loss therapy in type 2 diabetes: effects of phentermine and topiramate extended release. Diabetes Care 2014; 37:3309.
- PM O’Neil et al. Randomized placebo-controlled clinical trial of lorcaserin for weight loss in type 2 diabetes mellitus: the BLOOM-DM study. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2012; 20:1426.
- P Hollander et al. Effects of naltrexone sustained-release/bupropion sustained-release combination therapy on body weight and glycemic parameters in overweight and obese patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2013; 36:4022.
- Zonisamide (Zonegran) for epilepsy. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2000; 42:94.
- KM Gadde et al. Zonisamide for weight reduction in obese adults: a 1-year randomized controlled trial. Arch Intern Med 2012;172:1557.
- SL McElroy et al. A randomized, placebo-controlled study of zonisamide to prevent olanzapine-associated weight gain. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2012; 32:165.
- Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group. Long-term safety, tolerability, and weight loss associated with metformin in the Diabetes Prevention Program Outcomes Study. Diabetes Care 2012; 35:731.
- Drugs for type 2 diabetes. Treat Guidel Med Lett 2014; 12:17.
- J Rosenstock et al. Effects of exenatide and lifestyle modification on body weight and glucose tolerance in obese subjects with and without pre-diabetes. Diabetes Care 2010; 33:1173.
- In brief: exenatide (Byetta) for weight loss. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2006; 48:21.
- Pramlintide (Symlin) for diabetes. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2005; 47:43.
- SR Smith et al. Sustained weight loss following 12-month pramlintide treatment as an adjunct to lifestyle intervention in obesity. Diabetes Care 2008; 31:1816.
- Canagliflozin (Invokana) for type 2 diabetes. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:37.
- Dapagliflozin (Farxiga) for type 2 diabetes. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:13.
- Empagliflozin (Jardiance) for type 2 diabetes. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:99.
- PE O’Brien et al. Long-term outcomes after bariatric surgery: fifteen-year follow-up of adjustable gastric banding and a systematic review of the bariatric surgical literature. Ann Surg 2013; 257:87.
- T Diamantis et al. Review of long-term weight loss results after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2014; 10:177.
- N Puzziferri et al. Long-term follow-up after bariatric surgery: a systematic review. JAMA 2014; 312:934.
- Longitudinal Assessment of Bariatric Surgery (LABS) Consortium. Perioperative safety in the longitudinal assessment of bariatric surgery. N Engl J Med 2009; 361:445.
- GJ Service et al. Hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia with nesidioblastosis after gastric-bypass surgery. N Engl J Med 2005; 353:249.
- SH Chang et al. The effectiveness and risks of bariatric surgery: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis, 2003 – 2012. JAMA Surg 2014; 149:275.
- Ottawa (ON): Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health 2014 April 24. Bariatric surgical procedures for obese and morbidly obese patients: a review of comparative clinical and cost effectiveness, and guidelines. Available at: www.ncbi. nlm.nih.gov. Accessed February 5, 2015.
- G Mingrone et al. Bariatric surgery versus conventional medical therapy for type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2012; 366:1577.
- PR Schauer et al. Bariatric surgery versus intensive medical therapy in obese patients with diabetes. N Engl J Med 2012; 366:1567.
- PR Schauer et al. Bariatric surgery versus intensive medical therapy for diabetes – 3 year outcomes. N Engl J Med 2014; 370:2002.
- L Sjöström et al. Association of bariatric surgery with long-term remission of type 2 diabetes and with microvascular and macrovascular complications. JAMA 2014; 311:2297.
- M Robert et al. Predictive factors of type 2 diabetes remission 1 year after bariatric surgery: impact of surgical techniques. Obes Surg 2013: 23:770.
- L Sjöström et al. Bariatric surgery and long-term cardiovascular events. JAMA 2012; 307:56.
- AE Pontiroli et al. Long-term prevention of mortality in morbid obesity through bariatric surgery. a systematic review and meta-analysis of trials performed with gastric banding and gastric bypass. Ann Surg 2011; 253:484.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.