The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Advice for Travelers
April 13, 2015 (Issue: 1466)
- Vaccines for travelers. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:115.
- NJ Ajami et al. Seroepidemiology of norovirus-associated travelers' diarrhea. J Travel Med 2014; 21:6.
- MS Riddle et al. Effect of adjunctive loperamide in combination with antibiotics on treatment outcomes in traveler's diarrhea: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Infect Dis 2008; 47:1007.
- R Steffen et al. Traveler's diarrhea: a clinical review. JAMA 2015; 313:71.
- D Jain et al. Campylobacter species and drug resistance in a north Indian rural community. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 2005; 99:207.
- DR Tribble et al. Traveler's diarrhea in Thailand: randomized, double-blind trial comparing single-dose and 3-day azithromycin-based regimens with a 3-day levofloxacin regimen. Clin Infect Dis 2007; 44:338.
- KS Hong and JS Kim. Rifaximin for the treatment of acute infectious diarrhea. Ther Adv Gastroenterol 2011; 4:227.
- P Zanger et al. Effectiveness of rifaximin in prevention of diarrhoea in individuals travelling to south and southeast Asia: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial. Lancet Infect Dis 2013; 13:946.
- E Mirzaian et al. Mosquito-borne illnesses in travelers: a review of risk and prevention. Pharmacotherapy 2010; 30:1031.
- R McGready et al. Safety of the insect repellent N,N-diethyl-M-toluamide (DEET) in pregnancy. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2001; 65:285.
- Sunscreens revisited. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2011; 53:17.
- A Badolo et al. Evaluation of the sensitivity of Aedes aegypti and Anopheles gambiae complex mosquitoes to two insect repellents: DEET and KBR 3023. Trop Med Int Health 2004; 9:330.
- SP Frances et al. Laboratory and field evaluation of commercial repellent formulations against mosquitoes (Diptera: Culcidae) in Queensland, Australia. Aust J Entomol 2005; 44:431.
- C Costantini et al. Field evaluation of the efficacy and persistence of insect repellents DEET, IR3535, and KBR 3023 against Anopheles gambiae complex and other Afrotropical vector mosquitoes. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 2004; 98:644.
- Insect repellents. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2012; 54:75.
- DO Freedman. Clinical practice. Malaria prevention in short-term travelers. N Engl J Med 2008; 359:603.
- PJ van Genderen et al. The safety and tolerance of atovaquone/proguanil for the long-term prophylaxis of plasmodium falciparum malaria in non-immune travelers and expatriates [corrected]. J Travel Med 2007; 14:92.
- N Wurtz et al. Early treatment failure during treatment of Plasmodium falciparum malaria with atovaquone-proguanil in the Republic of Ivory Coast. Malaria J 2012; 11:146.
- E Legrand et al. First case of emergence of atovaquone resistance in Plasmodium falciparum during second-line atovaquone-proguanil treatment in South America. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2007; 51:2280.
- CT Happi et al. Confirmation of emergence of mutations associated with atovaquone-proguanil resistance in unexposed Plasmodium falciparum isolates from Africa. Malar J 2006; 5:82.
- J Ling et al. Randomized, placebo-controlled trial of atovaquone/proguanil for the prevention of Plasmodium falciparum or Plasmodium vivax malaria among migrants to Papua, Indonesia. Clin Infect Dis 2002; 35:825.
- J Soto et al. Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of Malarone for malaria prophylaxis in non-immune Colombian soldiers. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2006; 75:430.
- LH Chen et al. Controversies and misconceptions in malaria chemoprophylaxis for travelers. JAMA 2007; 297:2251.
- P Schlagenhauf et al. Use of mefloquine in children – a review of dosage, pharmacokinetics and tolerability data. Malar J 2011; 10:292.
- DR Hill et al. Primaquine: report from CDC expert meeting on malaria chemoprophylaxis I. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2006; 75:402.
- P Schlagenhauf et al. Pregnancy and fetal outcomes after exposure to mefloquine in the pre- and periconception period and during pregnancy. Clin Infect Dis 2012; 54:e124.
- MH Irvine et al. Prophylactic use of antimalarials during pregnancy. Can Fam Physician 2011; 57:1279.
- B Pasternak and A Hviid. Atovaquone-proguanil use in early pregnancy and the risk of birth defects. Arch Intern Med 2011; 171:259.
- SC Weaver and M Lecuit. Chikungunya virus and the global spread of a mosquito-borne disease. N Engl J Med 2015; 372:1231.
- MG Guzman and E Harris. Dengue. Lancet 2015; 385:453.
- M Fischer et al. Notes from the field: chikungunya virus spreads in the Americas - Caribbean and South America, 2013-2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2014; 63:500.
- C van de Werve et al. Travel-related leptospirosis: a series of 15 imported cases. J Travel Med 2013; 20:228.
- P Bartsch and ER Swenson. Clinical practice: Acute high-altitude illness. N Engl J Med 2013; 368:2294.
- EV Low et al. Identifying the lowest effective dose of acetazolamide for the prophylaxis of acute mountain sickness: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ 2012; 345:e6779.
- TE Kelly and PH Hackett. Acetazolamide and sulfonamide allergy: a not so simple story. High Alt Med Biol 2010: 11:319.
- E Leshem et al. Tadalafil and acetazolamide versus acetazolamide for the prevention of severe high-altitude illness. J Travel Med 2012; 19:308.
- D Chandra et al. Meta-analysis: travel and risk for venous thromboembolism. Ann Intern Med 2009; 151:180.
- SR Kahn et al. Prevention of VTE in nonsurgical patients: Antithrombotic therapy and prevention of thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest 2012; 141:e195S.
- M Clarke et al. Compression stockings for preventing deep vein thrombosis in airline passengers. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006; (2):CD004002.
- MR Cesarone et al. Venous thrombosis from air travel: the LONFLIT3 study–prevention with aspirin vs low-molecular-weight heparin (LMWH) in high-risk subjects: a randomized trial. Angiology 2002; 53:1.
- RL Sack. Clinical practice. Jet lag. N Engl J Med 2010; 362:440.
- J Waterhouse et al. Jet lag: trends and coping strategies. Lancet 2007; 369:1117.
- V Srinivasan et al. Jet lag, circadian rhythm sleep disturbances, and depression: the role of melatonin and its analogs. Adv Ther 2010; 27:796.
- AO Jamieson et al. Zolpidem reduces the sleep disturbance of jet lag. Sleep Med 2001; 2:423.
- PC Zee et al. Effects of ramelteon on insomnia symptoms induced by rapid, eastward travel. Sleep Med 2010; 11:525.
- RP Rosenberg et al. A phase 3, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study of armodafinil for excessive sleepiness associated with jet lag disorder. Mayo Clin Proc 2010; 85:630.
- JF Golding and MA Gresty. Motion sickness. Curr Opin Neurol 2005; 18:29.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.