The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
August 15, 2016
Drugs for Bipolar Disorder
|Subscribers: Log in to read full article. Not a subscriber? Subscribe or purchase article.|
Drugs for Bipolar Disorder
August 15, 2016 (Issue: 1501)Bipolar disorder is characterized by intermittent episodes of mania and/or depression. Even with maintenance treatment, recurrences of manic or (more frequently) depressive episodes are common. Some of the drugs and dosages recommended here have...more
- GM Goodwin et al. Evidence-based guidelines for treating bipolar disorder: revised third edition recommendations from the British Association for Psychopharmacology. J Psychopharmacol 2016; 30:495.
- LN Yatham et al. Canadian Network for Mood and Anxiety Treatments (CANMAT) and International Society for Bipolar Disorders (ISBD) collaborative update of CANMAT guidelines for the management of patients with bipolar disorder: update 2013. Bipolar Disord 2013; 15:1.
- C Datto et al. Bipolar II compared with bipolar I disorder: baseline characteristics and treatment response to quietapine in a pooled analysis of five placebo-controlled clinical trials of acute bipolar depression. Ann Gen Psychiatry 2016. March 11 (epub).
- A Loebel et al. Lurasidone monotherapy in the treatment of bipolar I depression: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Am J Psychiatry 2014; 171:160.
- A Loebel et al. Lurasidone as adjunctive therapy with lithium or valproate for the treatment of bipolar I depression: a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled study. Am J Psychiatry 2014; 171:169.
- MT Silva et al. Olanzapine plus fluoxetine for bipolar disorder: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Affect Disord 2013; 146:310.
- I Pacchiarotti et al. The International Society for Bipolar Disorders (ISBD) task force report on antidepressant use in bipolar disorders. Am J Psychiatry 2013; 170:1249.
- L Tondo and RJ Baldessarini. Long-term lithium treatment in the prevention of suicidal behavior in bipolar disorder patients. Epidemiol Psichiatr Soc 2009; 18:179.
- JR Geddes et al. Lamotrigine for treatment of bipolar depression: independent meta-analysis and meta-regression of individual patient data from five randomised trials. Br J Psychiatry 2009; 194:4.
- JR Geddes and DJ Miklowitz. Treatment of bipolar disorder. Lancet 2013; 381:1672.
- E Severus et al. Lithium for prevention of mood episodes in bipolar disorders: systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Bipolar Disord 2014; 2:15.
- YW Shi et al. Association between HLA and Stevens-Johnson syndrome induced by carbamazepine in Southern Han Chinese: genetic markers besides B*1502? Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 2012; 111:58.
- P Cacoub et al. The DRESS syndrome: a literature review. Am J Med 2011; 124:588.
- SH Joe et al. Feasibility of a slower lamotrigine titration schedule for bipolar depression: a naturalistic study. Int Clin Psychopharmacol 2009; 24:105.
- RH Belmaker. Lurasidone and bipolar disorder. Am J Psychiatry 2014; 171:131.
- Lurasidone (Latuda) for schizophrenia. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2011; 53:13.
- TJ Bommersbach et al. Management of psychotropic drug-induced DRESS syndrome: a systematic review. Mayo Clin Proc 2016; 91:787.
- FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA warns about rare but serious skin reactions with mental health drug olanzapine (Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis, Zyprexa Relprevv, and Symbyax). Available at: www.fda.gov. Accessed August 2, 2016.
- FDA Drug Safety Communication: valproate anti-seizure products contraindicated for migraine prevention in pregnant women due to decreased IQ scores in exposed children. Available at: www.fda.gov. Accessed August 2, 2016.
- JL Moore and P Aggarwal. Lamotrigine use in pregnancy. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2012; 13:1213.
- S Gentile. Antipsychotic therapy during early and late pregnancy. A systematic review. Schizophr Bull 2010; 36:518.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.