The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Drugs for Head Lice
November 21, 2016 (Issue: 1508)Head lice infestation occurs in all age groups, but especially in elementary school children. In most cases, transmission occurs by head-to-head contact.
- CD Devore et al. Head lice. Pediatrics 2015; 135:e1355.
- E Koch et al. Management of head louse infestations in the United States—a literature review. Pediatr Dermatol 2016; 33:466.
- TL Meinking et al. Efficacy of a reduced application time of Ovide lotion (0.5% malathion) compared to Nix creme rinse (1% permethrin) for the treatment of head lice. Pediatr Dermatol 2004; 21:670.
- Malathion for the treatment of head lice. Med Lett Drugs Ther 1999; 41:73.
- Benzyl alcohol lotion for head lice. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2009; 51:57.
- D Stough et al. Efficacy and safety of spinosad and permethrin creme rinses for pediculosis capitis (head lice). Pediatrics 2009; 124:e389.
- Spinosad (Natroba) topical suspension for head lice. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2011; 53:50.
- DM Pariser et al. Topical 0.5% ivermectin lotion for treatment of head lice. N Engl J Med 2012; 367:1687.
- Ivermectin (Sklice) topical lotion for head lice. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2012; 54:61.
- O Chosidow et al. Oral ivermectin versus malathion lotion for difficult-to-treat head lice. N Engl J Med 2010; 362:896.
- A Nofal. Oral ivermectin for head lice: a comparison with 0.5% topical malathion lotion. J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 2010; 8:985.
- TL Meinking et al. Assessment of oral ivermectin (200-400 mcg/kg) in treating head lice infestations. Presented at the 5th International Conference on Phthiraptera (ICP5), Park City, Utah, August 2-7, 2014.
- VM Bowles et al. Abametapir lotion 0.74% demonstrates high elimination rates of head lice with a single application in phase 3 trials. Presented at American Academy of Pediatrics 2016 National Conference and Exhibition, San Francisco, CA, October 22-25, 2016. Abstract 319920.
- VM Bowles et al. Ovicidal efficacy of abametapir against eggs of human head and body lice (Anoplura: Pediculidae). J Med Entomol 2016 Aug 21 (epub).
- IF Burgess and P Silverston. Head lice. BMJ Clin Evid 2015 Jan 14; pii:1703.
- ES Ihde et al. Safety and efficacy of a 100% dimethicone pediculocide in school-age children. BMC Pediatr 2015; 15:70.
- N Kaul et al. North American efficacy and safety of a novel pediculicide rinse, isopropyl myristate 50% (Resultz). J Cutan Med Surg 2007; 11:161.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.