The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Drugs for Migraine
February 13, 2017 (Issue: 1514)
- EA MacGregor. In the clinic. Migraine. Ann Intern Med 2013; 159:ITC5-1.
- MJ Marmura et al. The acute treatment of migraine in adults: the American Headache Society evidence assessment of migraine pharmacotherapies. Headache 2015; 55:3.
- MJ Prior et al. A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of acetaminophen for treatment of migraine headache. Headache 2010; 50:819.
- CC Suthisisang et al. Meta-analysis of the efficacy and safety of naproxen sodium in the acute treatment of migraine. Headache 2010; 50:808.
- C Suthisisang et al. Efficacy of low-dose ibuprofen in acute migraine treatment: systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Pharmacother 2007; 41:1782.
- C Chen et al. Differential pharmacokinetics of diclofenac potassium for oral solution vs immediate-release tablets from a randomized trial: effect of fed and fasting conditions. Headache 2015; 55:265.
- MM Johnston and AM Rapoport. Triptans for the management of migraine. Drugs 2010; 70:1505.
- V Tullo et al. Frovatriptan versus zolmitriptan for the acute treatment of migraine: a double-blind, randomized, multicenter, Italian study. Neurol Sci 2010; 31 Suppl 1:S51.
- S Law et al. Sumatriptan plus naproxen for the treatment of acute migraine attacks in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2016; 4:CD008541.
- Onzetra Xsail - sumatriptan nasal powder. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2016; 58:92.
- G Roberto et al. Triptans and serious adverse vascular events: data mining of the FDA Adverse Event Reporting System database. Cephalalgia 2014; 34:5.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes and P-glycoprotein. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2016 Aug 2 (epub). Available at: http://secure.medicalletter.org/downloads/CYP_PGP_Tables.pdf. Accessed February 2, 2017.
- FDA Public Health Advisory. Combined use of 5-hydroxytryptamine receptor agonists (triptans), selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) or selective serotonin/norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) may result in life-threatening serotonin syndrome. July 19, 2006. Last updated August 16, 2013. Available at: www.fda.gov. Accessed February 2, 2017.
- PE Rolan. Drug interactions with triptans: which are clinically significant? CNS Drugs 2012; 26:949.
- ML Hilaire et al. Treatment of migraine headaches with sumatriptan in pregnancy. Ann Pharmacother 2004; 38:1726.
- K Nezvalová-Henriksen et al. Triptan safety during pregnancy: a Norwegian population registry study. Eur J Epidemiol 2013; 28:759.
- US National Library of Medicine. Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed). Available at: https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov. Accessed February 2, 2017.
- MJ Láinez et al. Crossover, double-blind clinical trial comparing almotriptan and ergotamine plus caffeine for acute migraine therapy. Eur J Neurol 2007; 14:269.
- RB Lipton et al. Single-pulse transcranial magnetic stimulation for acute treatment of migraine with aura: a randomised, double-blind, parallel-group, sham-controlled trial. Lancet Neurol 2010; 9:373.
- JR Saper and AN Da Silva. Medication overuse headache: history, features, prevention and management strategies. CNS Drugs 2013; 27:867.
- SJ Tepper. Medication-overuse headache. Continuum (Minneap Minn) 2012; 18:807.
- SD Silberstein et al. Evidence-based guideline update: pharmacologic treatment for episodic migraine prevention in adults: report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology and the American Headache Society. Neurology 2012; 78:1337.
- E Loder et al. The 2012 AHS/AAN guidelines for prevention of episodic migraine: a summary and comparison with other recent clinical practice guidelines. Headache 2012; 52:930.
- T Pringsheim et al. Acute treatment and prevention of menstrually related migraine headache: evidence-based review. Neurology 2008; 70:1555.
- EA MacGregor et al. Safety and tolerability of frovatriptan in the acute treatment of migraine and prevention of menstrual migraine: results of a new analysis of data from five previously published studies. Gend Med 2010; 7:88.
- WM Mulleners et al. Antiepileptics in migraine prophylaxis: an updated Cochrane review. Cephalalgia 2015; 35:51.
- HC Diener et al. Topiramate in migraine prophylaxis–results from a placebo-controlled trial with propranolol as an active control. J Neurol 2004; 251:943.
- F Ashtari et al. A double-blind, randomized trial of low-dose topiramate vs propranolol in migraine prophylaxis. Acta Neurol Scand 2008; 118:301.
- S Silberstein et al. Topiramate treatment of chronic migraine: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial of quality of life and other efficacy measures. Headache 2009; 49:1153.
- HC Diener et al. Topiramate reduces headache days in chronic migraine: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Cephalalgia 2007; 27:814.
- SW Powers et al. Trial of amitriptyline, topiramate, and placebo for pediatric migraine. N Engl J Med 2017; 376:115.
- In brief: Warning against use of valproate for migraine prevention during pregnancy. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:45.
- J Weston et al. Monotherapy treatment of epilepsy in pregnancy: congenital malformation outcomes in the child. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2016; 11:CD010224.
- DW Dodick et al. Topiramate versus amitriptyline in migraine prevention: a 26-week, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, double-dummy, parallel-group noninferiority trial in adult migraineurs. Clin Ther 2009; 31:542.
- S Tarlaci. Escitalopram and venlafaxine for the prophylaxis of migraine headache without mood disorders. Clin Neuropharmacol 2009; 32:254.
- WB Young et al. Duloxetine prophylaxis for episodic migraine in persons without depression: a prospective study. Headache 2013; 53:1430.
- C Bellantuono et al. The safety of serotonin-noradrenaline reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) in pregnancy and breastfeeding: a comprehensive review. Hum Psychopharmacol 2015; 30:143.
- S Holland et al. Evidence-based guideline update: NSAIDs and other complementary treatments for episodic migraine prevention in adults: report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology and the American Headache Society. Neurology 2012; 78:1346.
- BJ Gales et al. Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers for the prevention of migraines. Ann Pharmacother 2010; 44:360.
- LJ Stovner et al. A comparative study of candesartan versus propranolol for migraine prophylaxis: A randomised, triple-blind, placebo-controlled, double cross-over study. Cephalalgia 2014; 34:523.
- JL Jackson et al. A comparative effectiveness meta-analysis of drugs for the prophylaxis of migraine headache. PLoS One 2015; 10:e0130733.
- C Buettner et al. Simvastatin and vitamin D for migraine prevention: a randomized, controlled trial. Ann Neurol 2015; 78:970.
- SJ Tepper. Nutraceutical and other modalities for the treatment of headache. Continuum (Minneap Minn) 2015; 21:1018.
- AL GonÇalves et al. Randomised clinical trial comparing melatonin 3 mg, amitriptyline 25 mg and placebo for migraine prevention. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2016; 87:1127.
- Botulinum toxin for chronic migraine. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2011; 53:7.
- A transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation device (Cefaly) for migraine prevention. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:78.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.