The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
July 3, 2017
Drugs for Sexually Transmitted Infections
|Subscribers: Log in to read full article. Not a subscriber? Subscribe or purchase article.|
Drugs for Sexually Transmitted Infections
July 3, 2017 (Issue: 1524)
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Committee Opinion 632: expedited partner therapy in the management of gonorrhea and chlamydial infection. Obstet Gynecol 2015; 125:1526.
- WM Geisler et al. Azithromycin versus doxycycline for urogenital Chlamydia trachomatis infection. N Engl J Med 2015; 373:2512.
- FY Kong et al. The efficacy of azithromycin and doxycycline for the treatment of rectal chlamydia infection: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Antimicrob Chemother 2015; 70:1290.
- KA Workowski et al. Sexually transmitted diseases treatment guidelines, 2015. MMWR Recomm Rep 2015; 64:1.
- MD Eberly et al. Azithromycin in early infancy and pyloric stenosis. Pediatrics 2015; 135:483.
- R Martin-Iguacel et al. Lymphogranuloma venereum proctocolitis: a silent endemic disease in men who have sex with men in industrialised countries. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 2010; 29:917.
- BP Stoner and SE Cohen. Lymphogranuloma venereum 2015: clinical presentation, diagnosis, and treatment. Clin Infect Dis 2015; 61 Suppl 8 s865.
- LH Bachmann et al. Advances in the understanding and treatment of male urethritis. Clin Infect Dis 2015; 61 Suppl 8:S763.
- LE Manhart et al. Standard treatment regimens for nongonococcal urethritis have similar but declining cure rates: a randomized controlled trial. Clin Infect Dis 2013; 56:934.
- LE Manhart et al. Efficacy of antimicrobial therapy for Mycoplasma genitalium infections. Clin Infect Dis 2015; 61 Suppl 8:S802.
- A Lau et al. The efficacy of azithromycin for the treatment of genital Mycoplasma genitalium: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Infect Dis 2015; 61:1389.
- D Getman et al. Mycoplasma genitalium prevalence, coinfection, and macrolide antibiotic resistance frequency in a multicenter clinical study cohort in the United States. J Clin Microbiol 2016; 54:2278.
- RD Kirkcaldy et al. The efficacy and safety of gentamicin plus azithromycin and gemifloxacin plus azithromycin as treatment of uncomplicated gonorrhea. Clin Infect Dis 2014; 59:1083.
- GA Bolan et al. The emerging threat of untreatable gonococcal infection. N Engl J Med 2012; 366:485.
- VG Allen et al. Neisseria gonorrhoeae treatment failure and susceptibility to cefixime in Toronto, Canada. JAMA 2013; 309:163.
- H Fifer et al. Failure of dual antimicrobial therapy in treatment of gonorrhea. N Engl J Med 2016; 374:2504.
- T Deguchi et al. New clinical strain of Neisseria gonorrhoeae with decreased susceptibility to ceftriaxone, Japan. Emerg Infect Dis 2016; 22:142.
- M Unemo. Current and future antimicrobial treatment of gonorrhoea - the rapidly evolving Neisseria gonorrhoeae continues to challenge. BMC Infect Dis 2015; 15:364.
- V Levy et al. A case of persistent and possibly treatment resistant pharyngeal gonorrhea. Sex Transm Dis 2016; 43:258.
- AR Katz et al. Cluster of Neisseria gonorrhoeae isolates with high-level azithromycin resistance and decreased ceftriaxone susceptibility, Hawaii, 2016. Clin Infect Dis 2017 May 26 (epub).
- CDC. Guidance on the use of expedited partner therapy in the treatment of gonorrhea. Available at: www.cdc.gov. Accessed June 22, 2017.
- R Duarte et al. A review of antibiotic therapy for pelvic inflammatory disease. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2015; 46:272.
- RC Brunham et al. Pelvic inflammatory disease. N Engl J Med 2015; 372:2039.
- ME Clement et al. Treatment of syphilis: a systematic review. JAMA 2014; 312:1905.
- A Ganesan et al. A single dose of benzathine penicillin G is as effective as multiple doses of benzathine penicillin G for the treatment of HIV-infected persons with early syphilis. Clin Infect Dis 2015; 60:653.
- R Andrade et al. Single dose versus 3 doses of intramuscular benzathine penicillin for early syphilis in HIV: a randomized clinical trial. Clin Infect Dis 2017; 64:759.
- EW Hook. Syphilis. Lancet 2017; 389:1550.
- E Meites et al. A review of evidence-based care of symptomatic trichomoniasis and asymptomatic trichomonas vaginalis infections. Clin Infect Dis 2015; 61 Suppl 8:S837.
- RD Kirkcaldy et al. Trichomonas vaginalis antimicrobial drug resistance in 6 US cities, STD Surveillance Network, 2009-2010. Emerg Infect Dis 2012; 18:939.
- AC Seña et al. Persistent and recurrent Trichomonas vaginalis infections: epidemiology, treatment and management considerations. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 2014; 12:673.
- CA Muzny and JR Schwebke. Pathogenesis of bacterial vaginosis: discussion of current hypotheses. J Infect Dis 2016; 214 Suppl1:S1.
- JR Schwebke and RA Desmond. Tinidazole vs metronidazole for the treatment of bacterial vaginosis. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2011; 204:211.
- P Nyirjesy. Management of persistent vaginitis. Obstet Gynecol 2014; 124:1135.
- JD Sobel et al. Maintenance fluconazole therapy for recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis. N Engl J Med 2004; 351:876.
- DA Lewis. Epidemiology, clinical features, diagnosis and treatment of Haemophilus ducreyi - a disappearing pathogen? Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 2014; 12:687.
- A Wald et al. Comparative efficacy of famciclovir and valacyclovir for suppression of recurrent genital herpes and viral shedding. Sex Transm Dis 2006; 33:529.
- L Corey et al. Once-daily valacyclovir to reduce the risk of transmission of genital herpes. N Engl J Med 2004; 350:11.
- Antiviral drugs. Treat Guidel Med Lett 2013; 11:19.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Committee on Practice Bulletins. ACOG Practioce Bulletin. No. 82 June 2007. Management of herpes in pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 2007; 109:1489.
- B Pasternak and A Hviid. Use of acyclovir, valacyclovir, and famciclovir in the first trimester of pregnancy and the risk of birth defects. JAMA 2010; 304:859.
- Veregen: a botanical for treatment of genital warts. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2008; 50:15.
- Gardasil 9 – a broader HPV vaccine. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:47.
- E Meites et al. Use of a 2-dose schedule for human papillomavirus vaccination — updated recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2016; 65:1405.
- In brief: New adult immunization recommendations. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017; 59:70.
- Y Panahi et al. The efficacy of topical and oral ivermectin in the treatment of human scabies. Ann Parasitol 2015; 61:11.
- IM el-Ashmawy et al. Teratogenic and cytogenetic effects of ivermectin and its interaction with P-glycoprotien inhibitor. Res Vet Sci 2011; 90:116.
- JM Bohbot et al. Treatment of bacterial vaginosis: a multi-center, double-blind, double-dummy, randomised phase III study comparing secnidazole and metronidazole. Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol 2010 Sep 15 (epub).
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.