The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
June 4, 2018
Diet, Drugs, Devices, and Surgery for Weight Management
|Subscribers: Log in to read full article. Not a subscriber? Subscribe or purchase article.|
Diet, Drugs, Devices, and Surgery for Weight Management
June 4, 2018 (Issue: 1548)
- CM Apovian et al. Pharmacological management of obesity: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2015; 100:342.
- AG Tsai and TA Wadden. The evolution of very-low-calorie diets: an update and meta-analysis. Obesity 2006; 14:1283.
- MD Jensen et al. 2013 AHA/ACC/TOS guideline for the management of overweight and obesity in adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and The Obesity Society. Circulation 2014; 129:S102.
- FM Sacks et al. Comparison of weight-loss diets with different compositions of fat, protein, and carbohydrates. N Engl J Med 2009; 360:859.
- BC Johnston et al. Comparison of weight loss among named diet programs in overweight and obese adults: a meta-analysis. JAMA 2014; 312:923.
- CD Gardner et al. Effect of low-fat vs low-carbohydrate diet on 12-month weight loss in overweight adults and the association with genotype pattern or insulin secretion: the DIETFITS randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2018; 319:667.
- TM Larsen et al. Diets with high or low protein content and glycemic index for weight-loss maintenance. N Engl J Med 2010; 363:2102.
- VL Webb and TA Wadden. Intensive lifestyle intervention for obesity: principles, practices, and results. Gastroenterology 2017; 152:1752.
- P Little et al. An internet-based intervention with brief nurse support to manage obesity in primary care (POWeR+): a pragmatic, parallel-group, randomised controlled trial. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol 2016; 4:821.
- AL Ahern et al. Extended and standard duration weight-loss programme referrals for adults in primary care (WRAP): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2017; 389:2214.
- WC Knowler et al. Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metformin. N Engl J Med 2002; 346:393.
- Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group. Long-term effects of lifestyle intervention or metformin on diabetes development and microvascular complications over 15-year follow-up: the Diabetes Prevention Program Outcomes Study. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol 2015; 3:866.
- Look AHEAD Research Group et al. Cardiovascular effects of intensive lifestyle intervention in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2013; 369:145.
- P Hollander et al. Effects of naltrexone sustained-release/bupropion sustained-release combination therapy on body weight and glycemic parameters in overweight and obese patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2013; 36:4022.
- WT Garvey et al. Weight-loss therapy in type 2 diabetes: effects of phentermine and topiramate extended release. Diabetes Care 2014; 37:3309.
- Two drugs for weight loss. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2012; 54:69.
- DB Allison et al. Controlled-release phentermine/topiramate in severely obese adults: a randomized controlled trial (EQUIP). Obesity 2012; 20:330.
- KM Gadde et al. Effects of low-dose, controlled-release, phentermine plus topiramate combination on weight and associated comorbidities in overweight and obese adults (CONQUER): a randomised, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial. Lancet 2011; 377:1341.
- WT Garvey et al. Two-year sustained weight loss and metabolic benefits with controlled-release phentermine/topiramate in obese and overweight adults (SEQUEL): a randomized, placebo-controlled, phase 3 extension study. Am J Clin Nutr 2012; 95:297.
- SZ Yanovski and JA Yanovski. Long-term drug treatment for obesity: a systematic and clinical review. JAMA 2014; 311:74.
- KM Gadde et al. Obesity: pathophysiology and management. J Am Coll Cardiol 2018; 71: 69.
- Contrave – a combination of bupropion and naltrexone for weight loss. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:112.
- Liraglutide (Victoza) for type 2 diabetes. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2010; 52:25.
- Liraglutide (Saxenda) for weight loss. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:89.
- X Pi-Sunyer et al. A randomized, controlled trial of 3.0 mg of liraglutide in weight management. N Engl J Med 2015; 373:11.
- CW le Roux et al. 3 years of liraglutide versus placebo for type 2 diabetes risk reduction and weight management in individuals with prediabetes: a randomised, double-blind trial. Lancet 2017; 389:1399.
- Maestro rechargeable system for weight loss. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2016; 58:54.
- MG Sarr et al. The EMPOWER study: randomized, prospective, double-blind, multicenter trial of vagal blockade to induce weight loss in morbid obesity. Obes Surg 2012; 22:1771.
- S Ikramuddin et al. Effect of reversible intermittent intra-abdominal vagal nerve blockade on morbid obesity: the ReCharge randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2014; 312:915.
- AspireAssist - A new device for weight loss. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2016; 58:109.
- CC Thompson et al. Percutaneous gastrostomy device for the treatment of class II and class III obesity: results of a randomized controlled trial. Am J Gastroenterol 2017; 112:447.
- Obalon Balloon System - another gastric balloon for weight loss. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017; 59:102.
- ReShape and Orbera - two gastric balloon devices for weight loss. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:122.
- FDA Update: Potential risks with liquid-filled intragastric balloons – letter to health care providers. Available at: www.fda.gov. Accessed May 24, 2018.
- Z Khorgami et al. Trends in utilization of bariatric surgery, 2010-2014: sleeve gastrectomy dominates. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2017; 13:774.
- PE O'Brien et al. Long-term outcomes after bariatric surgery: fifteen-year follow-up of adjustable gastric banding and a systematic review of the bariatric surgical literature. Ann Surg 2013; 257:87.
- Z Juodeikis and G Brimas. Long-term results after sleeve gastrectomy: a systematic review. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2017; 13:693.
- MT Young et al. Use and outcomes of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy vs laparoscopic gastric bypass: analysis of the American College of Surgeons NSQIP. J Am Coll Surg 2015; 220:880.
- JH Mehaffey et al. 10-year outcomes after roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Ann Surg 2016; 264:121.
- TD Adams et al. Weight and metabolic outcomes 12 years after gastric bypass. N Engl J Med 2017; 377:1143.
- GJ Service et al. Hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia with nesidioblastosis after gastric-bypass surgery. N Engl J Med 2005; 353:249.
- P Salminen et al. Effect of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy vs laparoscopic roux-en-y gastric bypass on weight loss at 5 years among patients with morbid obesity: the SLEEVEPASS randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2018; 319:241.
- R Peterli et al. Effect of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy vs laparoscopic roux-en-y gastric bypass on weight loss in patients with morbid obesity: the SM-BOSS randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2018; 319:255.
- AP Courcoulas et al. Seven-year weight trajectories and health outcomes in the longitudinal assessment of bariatric surgery (LABS) study. JAMA Surg 2017 Dec 6 (epub).
- G Mingrone et al. Bariatric surgery versus conventional medical therapy for type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2012; 366:1577.
- PR Schauer et al. Bariatric surgery versus intensive medical therapy in obese patients with diabetes. N Engl J Med 2012; 366:1567.
- PR Schauer et al. Bariatric surgery versus intensive medical therapy for diabetes – 5-year outcomes. N Engl J Med 2017; 376:641.
- S Ikramuddin et al. Lifestyle intervention and medical management with vs without roux-en-y gastric bypass and control of hemoglobin A1c, LDL cholesterol, and systolic blood pressure at 5 years in the diabetes surgery study. JAMA 2018; 319:266.
- L Sjöström et al. Bariatric surgery and long-term cardiovascular events. JAMA 2012; 307:56.
- O Reges et al. Association of bariatric surgery using laparoscopic banding, roux-en-y gastric bypass, or laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy vs usual care obesity management with all-cause mortality. JAMA 2018; 319:279.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.