The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Drugs for Psoriatic Arthritis
December 30, 2019 (Issue: 1588)Psoriatic arthritis is a chronic inflammatory arthropathy associated with psoriasis. A recent review found that about 20% of patients with psoriasis have psoriatic arthritis. Updated guidelines for treatment of psoriatic arthritis have recently...more
- F Alinaghi et al. Prevalence of psoriatic arthritis in patients with psoriasis: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational and clinical studies. J Am Acad Dermatol 2019; 80:251.
- JA Singh et al. Special article: 2018 American College of Rheumatology/National Psoriasis Foundation guideline for the treatment of psoriatic arthritis. Arthritis Rheumatol 2019; 71:5.
- Celecoxib safety revisited. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2016; 58:159.5.
- L Gossec et al. European League Against Rheumatism (EULAR) recommendations for the management of psoriatic arthritis with pharmacological therapies: 2015 update. Ann Rheum Dis 2016; 75:499.
- PJ Mease et al. Etanercept and methotrexate as monotherapy or in combination for psoriatic arthritis: primary results from a randomized, controlled phase III trial. Arthritis Rheumatol 2019; 71:1112.
- C Bazzani et al. Antirheumatic drugs and reproduction in women and men with chronic arthritis. RMD Open 2015; 1: e000048.
- JP Kaltwasser et al. Efficacy and safety of leflunomide in the treatment of psoriatic arthritis and psoriasis: a multinational, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Arthritis Rheum 2004; 50:1939.
- A Gottlieb et al. Guidelines of care for the management of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis: section 2. psoriatic arthritis: overview and guidelines of care for treatment with an emphasis on the biologics. J Am Acad Dermatol 2008; 58:851.
- D Alessa et al. Safety and efficacy of cyclosporine in psoriatic arthritis. J Psoriasis Psoriatic Arthritis 2014; 20:74.
- AD Fraser et al. A randomised, double-blind, placebo controlled, multicentre trial of combination therapy with methotrexate plus ciclosporin in patients with active psoriatic arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 2005; 64:859.
- PJ Mease and AW Armstrong. Managing patients with psoriatic disease: the diagnosis and pharmacologic treatment of psoriatic arthritis in patients with psoriasis. Drugs 2014; 74:423.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes and P-glycoprotein. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2019 November 6 (epub). Available at: www.medicalletter.org/downloads/CYP_PGP_Tables.pdf.
- MB Hoffman et al. Psoriasis during pregnancy: characteristics and important management recommendations. Expert Rev Clin Immunol 2015; 11:709.
- Apremilast (Otezla) for psoriatic arthritis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:41.
- A Kavanaugh et al. Treatment of psoriatic arthritis in a phase 3 randomised, placebo-controlled trial with apremilast, an oral phosphodiesterase 4 inhibitor. Ann Rheum Dis 2014; 73:1020.
- M Cutolo et al. A phase III, randomized, controlled trial of apremilast in patients with psoriatic arthritis: results of the PALACE 2 trial. J Rheumatol 2016; 43:1724.
- CJ Edwards et al. Apremilast, an oral phosphodiesterase 4 inhibitor, in patients with psoriatic arthritis and current skin involvement: a phase III, randomised, controlled trial (PALACE 3). Ann Rheum Dis 2016; 75:1065.
- A Kavanaugh et al. Long-term experience with apremilast in patients with psoriatic arthritis: 5-year results from a PALACE 1-3 pooled analysis. Arthritis Res Ther 2019; 21:118.
- AF Wells et al. Apremilast monotherapy in DMARD-naive psoriatic arthritis patients: results of the randomized, placebo-controlled PALACE 4 trial. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2018; 57:1253.
- P Nash et al. Early and sustained efficacy with apremilast monotherapy in biological-naïve patients with psoriatic arthritis: a phase IIIB, randomised controlled trial (ACTIVE). Ann Rheum Dis 2018; 77:690.
- R Goulabchand et al. Effect of tumour necrosis factor blockers on radiographic progression of psoriatic arthritis: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. Ann Rheum Dis 2014; 73:414.
- D Simon et al. Effect of disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs on bone structure and strength in psoriatic arthritis patients. Arthritis Res Ther 2019; 21:162.
- L Eder et al. Tumour necrosis factor α blockers are more effective than methotrexate in the inhibition of radiographic joint damage progression among patients with psoriatic arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 2014; 73:1007.
- AS Soubrier et al. Treatment response, drug survival and safety of anti-tumour necrosis factor α therapy in 193 patients with psoriatic arthritis: a twelve-year "real life" experience. Joint Bone Spine 2015; 82:31.
- Certolizumab pegol (Cimzia) and ustekinumab (Stelara) for psoriatic arthritis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:10.
- PJ Mease et al. Effect of certolizumab pegol on signs and symptoms in patients with psoriatic arthritis: 24-week results of a phase 3 double-blind randomised placebo-controlled study (RAPID-PsA). Ann Rheum Dis 2014; 73:48.
- A Kavanaugh et al. Golimumab, a new human tumor necrosis factor alpha antibody, administered every four weeks as a subcutaneous injection in psoriatic arthritis: twenty-four-week efficacy and safety results of a randomized, placebo-controlled study. Arthritis Rheum 2009; 60:976.
- F Behrens et al. Tumor necrosis factor inhibitor monotherapy vs combination with MTX in the treatment of PsA: a systematic review of the literature. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2015; 54:915.
- LJJ van Mens et al. Achieving remission in psoriatic arthritis by early initiation of TNF inhibition: a double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled trial of golimumab plus methotrexate versus placebo plus methotrexate. Ann Rheum Dis 2019; 78:610.
- HMY de Jong et al. Sustained remission with methotrexate monotherapy after 22-week induction treatment with TNF-alpha inhibitor and methotrexate in early psoriatic arthritis: an open-label extension of a randomized placebo-controlled trial. Arthritis Res Ther 2019; 21:208.
- EG Favalli et al. Eight-year retention rate of first-line tumor necrosis factor inhibitors in spondyloarthritis: a multicenter retrospective analysis. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2017; 69:867.
- KM Fagerli et al. The role of methotrexate co-medication in TNF-inhibitor treatment in patients with psoriatic arthritis: results from 440 patients included in the NOR-DMARD study. Ann Rheum Dis 2014; 73:132.
- PJ Mease et al. Comparative effectiveness of biologic monotherapy versus combination therapy for patients with psoriatic arthritis: results from the Corrona registry. RMD Open 2015; 1:e000181.
- RE Kalb et al. Risk of serious infection with biologic and systemic treatment of psoriasis: results from the psoriasis longitudinal assessment and registry (PSOLAR). JAMA Dermatol 2015; 151:961.
- AL Semble et al. Safety and tolerability of tumor necrosis factor-α inhibitors in psoriasis: a narrative review. Am J Clin Dermatol 2014; 15:37.
- V Strand et al. Immunogenicity of biologics in chronic inflammatory diseases: a systematic review. BioDrugs 2017; 31:299.
- IB McInnes et al. Efficacy and safety of ustekinumab in patients with active psoriatic arthritis: 1 year results of the phase 3, multicentre, double-blind, placebo-controlled PSUMMIT 1 trial. Lancet 2013; 382:780.
- A Kavanaugh et al. Ustekinumab, an anti-IL-12/23 p40 monoclonal antibody, inhibits radiographic progression in patients with active psoriatic arthritis: results of an integrated analysis of radiographic data from the phase 3, multicentre, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled PSUMMIT-1 and PSUMMIT-2 trials. Ann Rheum Dis 2014; 73:1000.
- IB McInnes et al. Secukinumab, a human anti-interleukin-17A monoclonal antibody, in patients with psoriatic arthritis (FUTURE-2); a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial. Lancet 2015; 386:1137.
- PJ Mease et al. Secukinumab inhibition of interleukin-17A in patients with psoriatic arthritis. N Engl J Med 2015; 373:1329.
- P Mease et al. Secukinumab improves active psoriatic arthritis symptoms and inhibits radiographic progression: primary results from the randomised, double-blind, phase III FUTURE 5 study. Ann Rheum Dis 2018; 77:890.
- PJ Mease et al. Ixekizumab, an interleukin-17A specific monoclonal antibody, for the treatment of biologic-naive patients with active psoriatic arthritis: results from the 24-week randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled and active (adalimumab)-controlled period of the phase III trial SPIRIT-P1. Ann Rheum Dis 2017; 76:79.
- P Nash et al. Ixekizumab for the treatment of patients with active psoriatic arthritis and an inadequate response to tumour necrosis factor inhibitors: results from the 24-week randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled period of the SPIRIT-P2 phase 3 trial. Lancet 2017; 389:2317.
- PJ Mease et al. A head-to-head comparison of the efficacy and safety of ixekizumab and adalimumab in biological-naive patients with active psoriatic arthritis: 24-week results of a randomised, open-label, blinded-assessor trial. Ann Rheum Dis 2019 Sept 28 (epub).
- P Mease et al. Abatacept in the treatment of patients with psoriatic arthritis: results of a six-month, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase II trial. Arthritis Rheum 2011; 63:939.
- PJ Mease et al. Efficacy and safety of abatacept, a T-cell modulator, in a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase III study in psoriatic arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 2017; 76:1550.
- DC Butler et al. Safety of dermatologic medications in pregnancy and lactation: part II: lactation. J Am Acad Dermatol 2014; 70:417.
- Tofacitinib (Xeljanz) for rheumatoid arthritis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:1.
- P Mease et al. Tofacitinib or adalimumab versus placebo for psoriatic arthritis. N Engl J Med 2017; 377:1537.
- D Gladman et al. Tofacitinib for psoriatic arthritis in patients with an inadequate response to TNF inhibitors. N Engl J Med 2017; 377:1525.
- In brief: risk of pulmonary thromboembolism and death with tofacitinib (Xeljanz). Med Lett Drugs Ther 2019; 61:136.
- Upadacitinib (Rinvoq) – A new JAK inhibitor for rheumatoid arthritis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2019; 61:183.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.