The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Lemborexant (Dayvigo) for Insomnia
June 29, 2020 (Issue: 1601)The FDA has approved lemborexant (Dayvigo – Eisai), an orexin receptor antagonist, for treatment of sleep-onset and/or sleep-maintenance insomnia in adults. It is the second orexin receptor antagonist to be approved for this indication;...more
- Suvorexant (Belsomra) for insomnia. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:29.
- Drugs for chronic insomnia. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2018; 60:201.
- CE Mahoney et al. The neurobiological basis of narcolepsy. Nat Rev Neurosci 2019; 20:83.
- R Rosenberg et al. Comparison of lemborexant with placebo and zolpidem tartrate extended release for the treatment of older adults with insomnia disorder: a phase 3 randomized clinical trial. JAMA Netw Open 2019; 2:e1918254.
- P Murphy et al. Safety of lemborexant versus placebo and zolpidem: effects on auditory awakening threshold, postural stability, and cognitive performance in healthy older participants in the middle of the night and upon morning awakening. J Clin Sleep Med 2020; 16:765.
- A Vermeeran et al. On-the-road driving performance the morning after bedtime administration of lemborexant in healthy adult and elderly volunteers. Sleep 2019; 42:zsy260.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes and P-glycoprotein. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2019 November 6 (epub). Available at: medicalletter.org/downloads/CYP_PGP_Tables.pdf.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.