The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Drugs Past Their Expiration Date
July 27, 2020 (Issue: 1603)Healthcare providers are often asked if drugs can be used past their expiration date. Because of legal restrictions and liability concerns, manufacturers do not sanction such use and usually do not comment on the safety or effectiveness of their...more
- Drugs past their expiration date. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:164.
- GW Frimpter et al. Reversible "Faconi syndrome" caused by degraded tetracycline. JAMA 1963; 184:111.
- RC Lyon et al. Stability profiles of drug products extended beyond labeled expiration dates. J Pharm Sci 2006; 95:1549.
- US Department of Health and Human Services. Guidance for federal agencies and state and local governments: potassium iodide tablets shelf life extension. March 2004. Available at: www.fda.gov/media/72521/download. Accessed July 16, 2020.
- US Department of Health and Human Services. State antiviral drug stockpile HHS update: February 11, 2020. Available at: www.fda.gov/media/135460/download. Accessed July 16, 2020.
- G Stark et al. A study of the stability of some commercial solid dosage forms beyond their expiration dates. Pharm J 1997; 258:637.
- R Regenthal et al. The pharmacologic stability of 35-year old theophylline. Hum Exp Toxicol 2002; 21:343.
- L Cantrell et al. Stability of active ingredients in long-expired prescription medications. Arch Intern Med 2012; 172:1685.
- JG Schier et al. Preparing for chemical terrorism: stability of injectable atropine sulfate. Acad Emerg Med 2004; 11:329.
- GD Novack. Can I use those eyedrops after the expiration date? Ocul Surf 2015; 13:169.
- FE Simons et al. Outdated EpiPen and EpiPen Jr autoinjectors: past their prime? J Allergy Clin Immunol 2000; 105:1025.
- O Rachid et al. Epinephrine doses contained in outdated epinephrine auto-injectors collected in a Florida allergy practice. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2015; 114:354.
- FL Cantrell et al. Epinephrine concentrations in EpiPens after the expiration date. Ann Intern Med 2017; 166:918.
- L Kassel et al. Epinephrine drug degradation in autoinjector products. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2019; 7:2491.
- J Lan et al. Evaluation of epinephrine's expiration date: a US Food and Drug Administration's perspective. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2019; 7:2948.
- L Hollein and U Holzgrabe. Ficts and facts of epinephrine and norepinephrine stability in injectable solutions. Int J Pharm 2012; 434:468.
- A Stonemen et al. Stability of epinephrine in expired EpiPen products from EMS ambulances. AAPS 2014; W5370.
- S Pruyn et al. Quality assessment of expired naloxone products from first-responders' supplies. Prehosp Emerg Care 2019; 23:647.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.