The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
September 19, 2022 (Issue: 1659)Cholesterol management guidelines from the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force were last published in 2019.
- SM Grundy et al. 2018 AHA/ACC/AACVPR/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/ADA/AGS/APhA/ASPC/NLA/PCNA guideline on the management of blood cholesterol: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on clinical practice guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol 2019; 73:e285.
- US Preventive Services Task Force. Statin use for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease in adults. US Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. JAMA 2022; 328:746.
- F Rodriguez et al. Association between intensity of statin therapy and mortality in patients with atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease. JAMA Cardiol 2017; 2:47.
- CB Newman et al. Statin safety and associated adverse events: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2019; 39:e38.
- Cholesterol Treatment Trialists’ Collaboration. Effect of statin therapy on muscle symptoms: an individual participant meta-analysis of large-scale, randomised, double-blind trials. Lancet 2022 August 29 (epub).
- JG Robinson. Statins and diabetes risk: how real is it and what are the mechanisms? Curr Opin Lipidol 2015; 26:228.
- DB Rosoff et al. Mendelian randomization study of PCSK9 and HMG-CoA reductase inhibition and cognitive function. J Am Coll Cardiol 2022; 80:653.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes, P-glycoprotein, and other transporters. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2021 October 20 (epub). Available at: medicalletter.org/downloads/CYP_PGP_Tables.pdf.
- BS Wiggins et al. Recommendations for management of clinically significant drug-drug interactions with statins and select agents used in patients with cardiovascular disease: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation 2016; 134:e468.
- The AIM-HIGH Investigators. Niacin in patients with low HDL cholesterol levels receiving intensive statin therapy. N Engl J Med 2011; 365:2255.
- Drug interaction: dabigatran (Pradaxa) and statins. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017; 59:26.
- FDA Drug Safety Communication. FDA requests removal of strongest warning against using cholesterol-lowering statins during pregnancy; still advises most pregnant patients should stop taking statins. August 30, 2021. Available at: https://bit.ly/3A6cvlN. Accessed August 31, 2022.
- MG Silverman et al. Association between lowering LDL-C and cardiovascular risk reduction among different therapeutic interventions: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA 2016; 316:1289.
- Pitavastatin (Livalo) – the seventh statin. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2010; 52:57.
- In brief: Pitavastatin magnesium (Zypitamag) for hyperlipidemia. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2018; 60:106.
- CP Cannon et al. Ezetimibe added to statin therapy after acute coronary syndromes. N Engl J Med 2015; 372:2387.
- B-K Kim et al. Long-term efficacy and safety of moderate-intensity statin with ezetimibe combination therapy versus high-intensity statin monotherapy in patients with atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (RACING): a randomized, open-label, non-inferiority trial. Lancet 2022; 400:380.
- Alirocumab (Praluent) to lower LDL-cholesterol. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:113.
- Evolocumab (Repatha) – a second PCSK9 inhibitor to lower LDL-cholesterol. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:140.
- JG Robinson et al. Efficacy and safety of alirocumab in reducing lipids and cardiovascular events. N Engl J Med 2015; 372:1489.
- MS Sabatine et al. Evolocumab and clinical outcomes in patients with cardiovascular disease. N Engl J Med 2017; 376:1713.
- AF Schmidt et al. PCSK9 monoclonal antibodies for the primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2020; 10:CD011748.
- L Raber et al. Effect of alirocumab added to high-intensity statin therapy on coronary atherosclerosis in patients with acute myocardial infarction: the PACMAN-AMI randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2022; 327:1771.
- SJ Nicholls et al. Effect of evolocumab on coronary plaque phenotype and burden in statin-treated patients following myocardial infarction. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 2022; 15:1308.
- RP Giugliano et al. Cognitive function in a randomized trial of evolocumab. N Engl J Med 2017; 377:633.
- PD Harvey et al. No evidence of neurocognitive adverse events associated with alirocumab treatment in 3340 patients from 14 randomized phase 2 and 3 controlled trials: a meta-analysis of individual patient data. Eur Heart J 2018; 39:374.
- Z Yuan. Dysregulated expressions of PCSK9 are associated with neural tube defects. Atherosclerosis Supplements 2018; 32:143.
- RN Jerome et al. Using human ‘experiments of nature’ to predict drug safety issues: an example with PCSK9 inhibitors. Drug Saf 2018; 41:303.
- Inclisiran (Leqvio) for LDL-cholesterol lowering. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2022; 64:43.
- KK Ray et al. Two phase 3 trials of inclisiran in patients with elevated LDL cholesterol. N Engl J Med 2020; 382:1507.
- FJ Raal et al. Inclisiran for the treatment of heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia. N Engl J Med 2020; 382:1520.
- DM Lloyd-Jones et al. 2022 ACC expert consensus decision pathway on the role of nonstatin therapies for LDL-cholesterol lowering in the management of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease risk: a report of the American College of Cardiology Solution Set Oversight Committee. J Am Coll Cardiol 2022 August 25 (epub).
- Fish oil supplements. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2012; 54:83.
- Risk and Prevention Study Collaborative Group. n-3 fatty acids in patients with multiple cardiovascular risk factors. N Engl J Med 2013; 368:1800.
- JE Manson et al. Marine n-3 fatty acids and prevention of cardiovascular disease and cancer. N Engl J Med 2019; 380:23.
- DL Bhatt et al. Cardiovascular risk reduction with icosapent ethyl for hypertriglyceridemia. N Engl J Med 2019; 380:11.
- PM Ridker et al. Effects of randomized treatment with icosapent ethyl and a mineral oil comparator on interleukin 1-β, interleukin-6, C-reactive protein, oxidized low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, homocysteine, lipoprotein(a), and lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2: a REDUCE-IT biomarker substudy. Circulation 2022; 146:372.
- RA Harrington. Trials and tribulations of randomized clinical trials. Circulation 2022; 146:380.
- B Gencer et al. Effects of long-term marine Ώ-3 fatty acids supplementation on the risk of atrial fibrillation in randomized controlled trials of cardiovascular outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Circulation 2021; 144:1981.
- Bempedoic acid (Nexletol) for lowering LDL cholesterol. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2020; 62:53.
- KK Ray et al. Safety and efficacy of bempedoic acid to reduce LDL cholesterol. N Engl J Med 2019; 380:1022.
- AC Goldberg et al. The effect of bempedoic acid vs placebo added to maximally tolerated statins on low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in patients at high risk for cardiovascular disease: the CLEAR Wisdom randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2019; 322:1780.
- CM Ballantyne et al. Bempedoic acid plus ezetimibe fixed-dose combination in patients with hypercholesterolemia and high CVD risk treated with maximally tolerated statin therapy. Eur J Prev Cardiol 2020; 27:593.
- Drugs for hypertriglyceridemia. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:17.
- HB Rubins et al. Gemfibrozil for the secondary prevention of coronary heart disease in men with low levels of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol. N Engl J Med 1999; 341:410.
- P Willeit et al. Baseline and on-statin treatment lipoprotein(a) levels for prediction of cardiovascular events: individual patient-data meta-analysis of statin outcome trials. Lancet 2018; 392:1311.
- HPS2-THRIVE Collaborative Group. Effects of extended-release niacin with laropiprant in high-risk patients. N Engl J Med 2014; 371:203.
- FJ Raal et al. Inhibition of PCSK9 with evolocumab in homozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia (TESLA Part B): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2015; 385:341.
- Two new drugs for homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:25.
- FJ Raal et al. Evinacumab for homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia. N Engl J Med 2020; 383:711.
- Evinacumab (Evkeeza) for homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2021; 63:66.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.