1. MS Albert et al. The diagnosis of mild cognitive impairment due to Alzheimer's disease: recommendations from the National Institute on Aging-Alzheimer's Association workgroups on diagnostic guidelines for Alzheimer's disease. Alzheimers Dement 2011; 7:270.
2. SS Gill et al. Syncope and its consequences in patients with dementia receiving cholinesterase inhibitors. A population-based cohort study. Arch Intern Med 2009; 169:867.
3. Donepezil (Aricept) for Alzheimer's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 1997; 39:53.
4. RC Petersen et al. Vitamin E and donepezil for the treatment of mild cognitive impairment. N Engl J Med 2005; 352:2379.
5. RS Doody et al. Donepezil treatment of patients with MCI: a 48-week randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Neurology 2009; 72:1555.
6. B Winblad et al. Donepezil in patients with severe Alzheimer's disease: double-blind, parallel-group, placebo-controlled study. Lancet 2006; 367:1057.
7. SE Black et al. Donepezil preserves cognition and global function in patients with severe Alzheimer disease. Neurology 2007; 69:459.
8. R Howard et al. Donepezil and memantine for moderate-to-severe Alzheimer's disease. N Engl J Med 2012; 366:893.
9. RJ Howard et al. Donepezil for the treatment of agitation in Alzheimer's disease. N Engl J Med 2007; 357:1382.
10. M Rolinski et al. Cholinesterase inhibitors for dementia with Lewy bodies, Parkinson's disease dementia and cognitive impairment in Parkinson's disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; (3):CD006504.
11. E Mori et al. Donepezil for dementia with Lewy bodies: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Ann Neurol 2012; 72:41.
12. D Wilkinson et al. Donepezil in vascular dementia: a randomized, placebo-controlled study. Neurology 2003; 61:479.
13. GC Román et al. Randomized, placebo-controlled, clinical trial of donepezil in vascular dementia: differential effects by hippocampal size. Stroke 2010; 41:1213.
14. MR Farlow et al. Effectiveness and tolerability of high-dose (23 mg/d) versus standard-dose (10 mg/d) donepezil in moderate to severe Alzheimer's disease: a 24-week, randomized, double-blind study. Clin Ther 2010; 32:1234.
15. DS Knopman. Donepezil 23 mg: An empty suit. Neurol Clin Pract 2012; 2:352.
16. Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes and P-glycoprotein. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:e44.
17. Galantamine (Reminyl) for Alzheimer's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2001; 43:53.
18. B Winblad et al. Safety and efficacy of galantamine in subjects with mild cognitive impairment. Neurology 2008; 70:2024.
19. T Erkinjuntti et al. Efficacy of galantamine in probable vascular dementia and Alzheimer's disease combined with cerebrovascular disease: a randomised trial. Lancet 2002; 359:1283.
20. R Bullock et al. Management of patients with Alzheimer's disease plus cerebrovascular disease: 12-month treatment with galantamine. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 2004; 17:29.
21. Rivastigmine (Exelon) for Alzheimer's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2000; 42:93.
22. J Birks et al. Rivastigmine for Alzheimer's disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009; (2): CD001191.
23. B Winblad et al. A six-month double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study of a transdermal patch in Alzheimer's disease – rivastigmine patch versus capsule. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2007; 22:456.
24. MR Farlow et al. A 24-week, randomized, controlled trial of rivastigmine patch 13.3 mg/24 h versus 4.6 mg/24 h in severe Alzheimer's dementia. CNS Neurosci Ther 2013 Aug 7 (epub).
25. M Emre et al. Rivastigmine for dementia associated with Parkinson's disease. N Engl J Med 2004; 351:2509.
26. I McKeith et al. Efficacy of rivastigmine in dementia with Lewy bodies: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled international study. Lancet 2000; 356:2031.
27. A Wentrup et al. Once-daily transdermal rivastigmine in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease. Drug Des Devel Ther 2008; 2:245.
28. J Cummings et al. Randomized, double-blind, parallel-group, 48-week study for efficacy and safety of a higher-dose rivastigmine patch (15 vs 10 cm2) in Alzheimer's disease. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 2012; 33:341.
29. Memantine for Alzheimer's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2003; 45:73.
30. PT Francis et al. Rationale for combining glutamatergic and cholinergic approaches in the symptomatic treatment of Alzheimer's disease. Expert Rev Neurother 2012; 12:1351.
31. B Reisberg et al. Memantine in moderate-to-severe Alzheimer's disease. N Engl J Med 2003; 348:1333.
32. PN Tariot et al. Memantine treatment in patients with moderate to severe Alzheimer disease already receiving donepezil: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2004; 291:317.
33. GT Grossberg et al. The safety, tolerability and efficacy of once-daily memantine (28 mg): A multinational, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial in patients with moderate-to-severe Alzheimer's disease taking cholinesterase inhibitors. CNS Drugs 2013; 27:469.
34. AP Porsteinsson et al. Memantine treatment in patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease already receiving a cholinesterase inhibitor: a randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled trial. Curr Alzheimer Res 2008; 5:83.
35. JM Orgogozo et al. Efficacy and safety of memantine in patients with mild to moderate vascular dementia: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial (MMM 300). Stroke 2002; 33:1834.
36. G Wilcock et al. A double-blind, placebo-controlled multicentre study of memantine in mild to moderate vascular dementia (MMM500). Int Clin Psychopharmacol 2002; 17:297.
37. M Emre et al. Memantine for patients with Parkinson's disease dementia or dementia with Lewy bodies: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet Neurol 2010; 9:969.
38. DV Jeste et al. ACNP White Paper: update on use of antipsychotic drugs in elderly persons with dementia. Neuropsychopharmacology 2008; 33:957.
39. DL Sultzer et al. Clinical symptom responses to atypical antipsychotioc medications in Alzheimer's disease: phase 1 outcomes from the CATIE-AD effectiveness trial. Am J Psychiatry 2008; 165:844.
40. CL Vigen et al. Cognitive effects of atypical antipsychotic medications in patients with Alzheimer's disease: outcomes from CATIE-AD. Am J Psychiatry 2011; 168:831.
41. Drugs for psychiatric disorders. Treat Guidel Med Lett 2013; 11:53.
42. HC Liu et al. Extrapyramidal side-effect due to drug combination of risperidone and donepezil. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 2002; 56:479.
43. ST DeKosky et al. Ginkgo biloba for prevention of dementia: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2008; 300:2253.
44. LS Schneider et al. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of two doses of Ginko biloba extract in dementia of the Alzheimer's type. Curr Alzheimer Res 2005; 2:541.
45. BE Snitz et al. Ginkgo biloba for preventing cognitive decline in older adults: a randomized trial. JAMA 2009; 302:2663.
46. A medical food for Alzheimer's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2009; 51:49.
47. P Thaipisuttikul and JE Galvin. Use of medical foods and nutritional approaches in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease. Clin Pract (Lond) 2012; 9:199.