The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Drugs for Psychotic Disorders
December 19, 2016 (Issue: 1510)Oral antipsychotic drugs used for treatment of schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, delusional disorder, and other manifestations of psychosis or mania are listed in Table 1. Parenteral antipsychotic drugs used for treatment of...more
- P Fusar-Poli et al. Treatments of negative symptoms in schizophrenia: meta-analysis of 168 randomized placebo-controlled trials. Schizophr Bull 2015; 41:892.
- HJ Möller and P Czobor. Pharmacological treatment of negative symptoms in schizophrenia. Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 2015; 265:567.
- S Leucht et al. Second-generation versus first-generation antipsychotic drugs for schizophrenia: a meta-analysis. Lancet 2009; 373:31.
- TS Stroup et al. Comparative effectiveness of clozapine and standard antipsychotic treatment in adults with schizophrenia. Am J Psychiatry 2016; 173:166.
- HY Meltzer et al. Clozapine treatment for suicidality in schizophrenia: International Suicide Prevention Trial (InterSePT). Arch Gen Psychiatry 2003; 60:82.
- K Komossa et al. Olanzapine versus other atypical antipsychotics for schizophrenia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010; 3:CD006654.
- TS Stroup et al. Effectiveness of olanzapine, quetiapine, risperidone, and ziprasidone in patients with chronic schizophrenia following discontinuation of a previous atypical antipsychotic. Am J Psychiatry 2006; 163:611.
- Paliperidone (Invega) for schizophrenia. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2007; 49:21.
- C Orr et al. Asenapine for the treatment of psychotic disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Can J Psychiatry 2016 Aug 1 (epub).
- Iloperidone (Fanapt) - another second-generation antipsychotic. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2010; 52:13.
- Lurasidone (Latuda) for schizophrenia. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2011; 53:13.
- Brexpiprazole (Rexulti) for schizophrenia and depression. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:116.
- Cariprazine (Vraylar) for schizophrenia and bipolar I disorder. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2016; 58:51.
- RA Rosenheck et al. Long-acting risperidone and oral antipsychotics in unstable schizophrenia. N Engl J Med 2011; 364:842.
- PF Buckley et al. Comparison of SGA oral medications and a long-acting injectable SGA: the PROACTIVE study. Schizophr Bull 2015; 41:449.
- JP McEvoy et al. Effectiveness of paliperidone palmitate vs haloperidol decanoate for maintenance treatment of schizophrenia: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2014; 311:1978.
- Two long-acting injectable antipsychotics for schizophrenia. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:152.
- R Emsley et al. Long-acting injectable antipsychotics in early psychosis: a literature review. Early Interv Psychiatry 2013; 7:247.
- Inhaled loxapine (Adasuve) for acute agitation. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:31.
- R Liperoti et al. All-cause mortality associated with atypical and conventional antipsychotics among nursing home residents with dementia: a retrospective cohort study. J Clin Psychiatry 2009; 70:1340.
- O Freudenreich and JP McEvoy. Optimizing outcome with antipsychotic treatment in first-episode schizophrenia: balancing efficacy and side effects. Clin Schizophr Relat Psychoses 2012; 6:115.
- S Ryu et al. Tardive dyskinesia and tardive dystonia with second-generation antipsychotics in non-elderly schizophrenic patients unexposed to first-generation antipsychotics: a cross-sectional and retrospective study. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2015; 35:13.
- A O’Brien. Comparing the risk of tardive dyskinesia in older adults with first-generation and second-generation antipsychotics: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2016; 31:683.
- J Fitzsimons et al. A review of clozapine safety. Expert Opin Drug Saf 2005; 4:731.
- S Every-Palmer et al. Clozapine-treated patients have marked gastrointestinal hypomotility, the probable basis of life-threatening gastrointestinal complications: a cross-sectional study. EBioMedicine 2016; 5:125.
- SC Cook et al. Clozapine-induced myocarditis: prevention and considerations in rechallenge. Psychosomatics 2015; 56:685.
- FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA warns about rare but serious skin reactions with mental health drug olanzapine (Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis, Zyprexa Relprevv, and Symbyax). Available at: www.fda.gov. Accessed December 8, 2016.
- TJ Bommersbach et al. Management of psychotropic druginduced DRESS syndrome: a systematic review. Mayo Clin Proc 2016; 91:787.
- AM Laties et al. Cataractogenic potential of quetiapine versus risperidone in the long-term treatment of patients with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder: a randomized, open-label, ophthalmologist-masked, flexible-dose, non-inferiority trial. J Psychopharmacol 2015; 29:69.
- BL Strom et al. Comparative mortality associated with ziprasidone and olanzapine in real-world use among 18,154 patients with schizophrenia: The Ziprasidone Observational Study of Cardiac Outcomes (ZODIAC). Am J Psychiatry 2011; 168:193.
- VC Chan et al. US Food and Drug Administration warning about the risk of drug reaction with eosinophilia and systemic symptoms with ziprasidone. J Clin Psychiatry 2015; 76:e1138.
- CU Pae. A review of the safety and tolerability of aripiprazole. Expert Opin Drug Saf 2009; 8:373.
- FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA warns about new impulse-control problems associated with mental health drug aripiprazole (Abilify, Abilify Maintena, Aristada). Available at: www.fda.gov. Accessed December 8, 2016.
- J Weber and PL McCormack. Asenapine. CNS Drugs 2009; 23:781.
- JM Kane et al. Overview of short- and long-term tolerability and safety of brexpiprazole in patients with schizophrenia. Schizophr Res 2016; 174:93.
- JM Kane et al. Efficacy and safety of cariprazine in acute exacerbation of schizophrenia: results from an international, Phase III clinical trial. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2015; 35:367.
- JM Kane et al. Long-term efficacy and safety of iloperidone: results from 3 clinical trials for the treatment of schizophrenia. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2008; 28(2 Suppl 1):S29.
- R Musil et al. Weight gain and antipsychotics: a drug safety review. Expert Opin Drug Saf 2015; 14:73.
- KF Huybrechts et al. Antipsychotic use in pregnancy and the risk for congential malformations. JAMA Psychiatry 2016; 73:938.
- S Gentile. Antipsychotic therapy during early and late pregnancy. A systematic review. Schizophr Bull 2010; 36:518.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.