The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Opioids for Pain
April 9, 2018 (Issue: 1544)
- Nonopioid drugs for pain. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2018; 60:24.
- AK Chang et al. Effect of a single dose of oral opioid and nonopioid analgesics on acute extremity pain in the emergency department: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2017; 318:1661.
- RA Deyo et al. Association between initial opioid prescribing patterns and subsequent long-term use among opioid-naïve patients: a statewide retrospective cohort study. J Gen Intern Med 2017; 32:21.
- A Shah et al. Characteristics of initial prescription episodes and likelihood of long-term opioid use - United States, 2006-2015. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2017; 66:265.
- Drugs for opioid use disorder. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017; 59:89.
- R Chou et al. The effectiveness and risks of long-term opioid therapy for chronic pain: a systematic review for a National Institutes of Health Pathways of Prevention Workshop. Ann Intern Med 2015; 162:276.
- EE Krebs et al. Effect of opioid vs nonopioid medications on pain-related function in patients with chronic back pain or hip or knee osteoarthritis pain: the SPACE randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2018; 319:872.
- D Dowell et al. CDC guideline for prescribing opioids for chronic pain – United States, 2016. MMWR Recomm Rep 2016; 65:1.
- L Manchikanti et al. Responsible, safe, and effective prescription of opioids for chronic non-cancer pain: American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians (ASIPP) guidelines. Pain Physician 2017; 20(2S):S3.
- AS Bohnert et al. A detailed exploration into the association of prescribed opioid dosage and overdose deaths among patients with chronic pain. Med Care 2016; 54:435.
- New indications for modafinil (Provigil). Med Lett Drugs Ther 2004; 46:34.
- Methylnaltrexone (Relistor) for opioid-induced constipation. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2008; 50:63.
- Naloxegol (Movantik) for opioid-induced constipation. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:135.
- Naldemedine (Symproic) for opioid-induced constipation. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017; 59:196.
- Q Yang et al. Efficacy and adverse effects of transdermal fentanyl and sustained-release oral morphine in treating moderate-severe cancer pain in Chinese population: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Exp Clin Cancer Res 2010; 29:67.
- M Lee et al. A comprehensive review of opioid-induced hyperalgesia. Pain Physician 2011; 14:145.
- MJ Brennan. The effect of opioid therapy on endocrine function. Am J Med 2013; 126:S12.
- FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA warns about several safety issues with opioid pain medicines; requires label changes. Available at: www.fda.gov. Accessed March 29, 2018.
- FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA warns about serious risks and death when combining opioid pain or cough medicines with benzodiazepines; requires its strongest warning. August 31, 2016. Available at: www.fda.gov. Accessed March 29, 2018.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes and p-glycoprotein. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017; September 18 (epub). Available at www.medicalletter.org/downloads/CYP_PGP_Tables.pdf. Accessed March 29, 2018.
- VE Whiteman et al. Maternal opioid drug use during pregnancy and its impact on perinatal morbidity, mortality, and the costs of medical care in the United States. J Pregnancy 2014; 2014:906723.
- FDA warns against use of codeine and tramadol in children and breastfeeding women. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017; 59:86.
- In brief: Heat and transdermal fentanyl. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2009; 51:64.
- FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA requiring color changes to Duragesic (fentanyl) pain patches to aid safety―emphasizing that accidental exposure to used patches can cause death. September 23, 2013. Available at: https://www.fda.gov. Accessed March 29, 2018.
- Extended-release hydrocodone (Zohydro ER) for pain. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:45.
- Extended-release hydrocodone (Hysingla ER) for pain. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:71.
- Extended-release hydromorphone (Exalgo) for pain. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2011; 53:62.
- H Binsfeld et al. A randomized study to demonstrate noninferiority of once-daily OROS hydromorphone with twice-daily sustained-release oxycodone for moderate to severe chronic noncancer pain. Pain Pract 2010; 10:404.
- E Bruera et al. Methadone versus morphine as a first-line strong opioid for cancer pain: a randomized, double-blind study. J Clin Oncol 2004; 22:185.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Vital signs: risk for overdose from methadone used for pain relief—United States, 1999-2010. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2012; 61:493.
- MJ Krantz et al. QTc interval screening in methadone treatment. Ann Intern Med 2009; 150:387.
- Oral oxymorphone (Opana). Med Lett Drugs Ther 2007; 49:3.
- Abuse-deterrent opioid formulations. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:119.
- Arymo ER – A new abuse-deterrent morphine formulation. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017; 59:68.
- A new abuse-deterrent opioid – Xtampza ER. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2016; 58:77.
- Tapentadol (Nucynta) – a new analgesic. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2009; 51:61.
- M Afilalo and B Morlion. Efficacy of tapentadol ER for managing moderate to severe chronic pain. Pain Physician 2013; 16:27.
- RM Duehmke et al. Tramadol for neuropathic pain in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2017; 6:CD003726.
- Transdermal buprenorphine (Butrans) for chronic pain. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2011; 53:31.
- Buprenorphine buccal film (Belbuca) for chronic pain. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2016; 58:47.
- Once-monthly subcutaneous buprenorphine (Sublocade) for opioid use disorder. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2018; 60:35.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.