The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Drugs for Chronic Heart Failure
January 19, 2015 (Issue: 1460)Heart failure is usually associated with left ventricular dysfunction. According to recent guidelines, patients with a left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) ≤40% are considered to have heart failure with reduced ejection fraction (HFrEF)...more
- CW Yancy et al. 2013 ACCF/AHA guideline for the management of heart failure: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on practice guidelines. Circulation 2013; 128:e240.
- J Lindenfeld et al. HFSA 2010 comprehensive heart failure practice guideline. J Card Fail 2010; 16:e1.
- H Svanström et al. Association of treatment with losartan vs candesartan and mortality among patients with heart failure. JAMA 2012; 307:1506.
- MA Konstam et al. Effects of high-dose versus low-dose losartan on clinical outcomes in patients with heart failure (HEAAL study): a randomised, double-blind trial. Lancet 2009; 374:1840.
- RE Shaddy et al. Carvedilol for children and adolescents with heart failure: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2007; 298:1171.
- LH Lund et al. Association between use of β-blockers and outcomes in patients with heart failure and preserved ejection fraction. JAMA 2014; 312:2008.
- C Torp-Pederson et al. Effects of metoprolol and carvedilol on pre-existing and new onset diabetes in patients with chronic heart failure: data from the Carvedilol Or Metoprolol European Trial (COMET). Heart 2007; 93:968.
- MH Ruwald. Impact of carvedilol and metoprolol on inappropriate implantable cardioverter-defibrillator therapy: the MADIT-CRT trial (Multicenter Automatic Defibrillator Implantation with Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy). J Am Coll Cardiol 2013; 62:1343.
- G Sayer and G Bhat. The renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system and heart failure. Cardiol Clin 2014; 32:21.
- F Zannad et al. Eplerenone in patients with systolic heart failure and mild symptoms. N Engl J Med 2011; 364:11.
- B Pitt et al. The effect of spironolactone on morbidity and mortality in patients with severe heart failure. Randomized Aldactone Evaluation Study Investigators. N Engl J Med 1999; 341:709.
- B Pitt et al. Eplerenone, a selective aldosterone blocker, in patients with left ventricular dysfunction after myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 2003; 348:1309.
- F Edelmann et al. Effect of spironolactone on diastolic function and exercise capacity in patients with heart failure with preserved ejection fraction: the Aldo-DHF randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2013; 309: 781.
- B Pitt et al. Spironolactone for heart failure with preserved ejection fraction. N Engl J Med 2014; 370:1383.
- KB Shah et al. The adequacy of laboratory monitoring in patients treated with spironolactone for congestive heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 2005; 46:845.
- AL Taylor et al. Early and sustained benefit on event-free survival and heart failure hospitalization from fixed-dose combination of isosorbide dinitrate/hydralazine: consistency across subgroups in the African-American Heart Failure Trial. Circulation 2007; 115:1747.
- GISSI-HF Investigators et al. Effect of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in patients with chronic heart failure (the GISSI-HF trial): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2008; 372:1223.
- M Gheorghiade et al. Effect of aliskiren on postdischarge mortality and heart failure readmissions among patients hospitalized for heart failure: the ASTRONAUT randomized trial. JAMA 2013; 309:1125.
- JJ McMurray et al. Angiotensin-neprilysin versus enalapril in heart failure. N Engl J Med 2014; 371:993.
- O Vardeny et al. Combined neprilysin and renin-angiotensin system inhibition for the treatment of heart failure. JACC Heart Fail 2014; 2:663.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.