The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
A 4-Drug Combination (Viekira Pak) for Hepatitis C
February 2, 2015 (Issue: 1461)The FDA has approved Viekira Pak (Abbvie), a fixed-dose combination of two new direct-acting antiviral agents (ombitasvir, paritaprevir) with the pharmacologic enhancer ritonavir in one tablet, co-packaged with a third new direct-acting antiviral...more
- A combination of ledipasvir and sofosbuvir (Harvoni) for hepatitis C. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:111.
- E Lawitz et al. Simeprevir plus sofosbuvir, with or without ribavirin, to treat chronic infection with hepatitis C virus genotype 1 in non-responders to pegylated interferon and ribavirin and treatment-naive patients: the COSMOS randomised study. Lancet 2014; 384:1756.
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases/Infectious Disease Society of America/International Antiviral Society–USA. Recommendations for testing, managing, and treating hepatitis C. December 19, 2014. Available at www.hcvguidelines.org. Accessed January 22, 2015.
- Telaprevir (Incivek) and boceprevir (Victrelis) for chronic hepatitis C. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2011; 53:57.
- Simeprevir (Olysio) for chronic hepatitis C. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:1.
- JJ Feld et al. Treatment of HCV with ABT-450/r-ombitasvir and dasabuvir with ribavirin. N Engl J Med 2014; 370:1594.
- P Ferenci et al. ABT-450/r-ombitasvir and dasabuvir with or without ribavirin for HCV. N Engl J Med 2014; 370:1983.
- S Zeuzem et al. Retreatment of HCV with ABT-450/r-ombitasvir and dasabuvir with ribavirin. N Engl J Med 2014; 370:1604.
- P Andreone et al. ABT-450, ritonavir, ombitasvir, and dasabuvir achieves 97% and 100% sustained virologic response with or without ribavirin in treatment-experienced patients with HCV genotype 1b infection. Gastroenterology 2014; 147:359.
- F Poordad et al. ABT-450/r-ombitasvir and dasabuvir with ribavirin for hepatitis C with cirrhosis. N Engl J Med 2014; 370:1973.
- D Wyles et al. TURQUOISE-I: 94% SVR12 in HCV/HIV-1 co-infected patients treated with ABT-450/r/ombitasvir and dasabuvir and ribavirin. Presented at 65th annual meeting of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases, Boston, MA November 7-11, 2014. Available at www.natap.org.
- PY Kwo et al. An interferon-free antiviral regimen for HCV after liver transplantation. N Engl J Med 2014; 371:2375.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes and P-glycoprotein. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:e44.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.