The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Drugs for Common Bacterial Infections in Adults
October 23, 2017 (Issue: 1532)Bacterial infections in adults are generally treated empirically, with the antibiotic covering most, but not all, of the potential causative pathogens. For some infections, culture and sensitivity testing can guide treatment, allowing for use of...more
- ST Shulman et al. Clinical practice guideline for the diagnosis and management of Group A streptococcal pharyngitis: 2012 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis 2012; 55:1279.
- GP DeMuri et al. Macrolide and clindamycin resistance in group A streptococci isolated from children with pharyngitis. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2017; 36:342.
- AW Chow et al. IDSA clinical practice guideline for acute bacterial rhinosinusitis in children and adults. Clin Infect Dis 2012; 54:e72.
- RM Rosenfeld et al. Clinical practice guideline (update): adult sinusitis executive summary. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2015; 152:598.
- AM Harris et al. Appropriate antibiotic use for acute respiratory tract infection in adults: advice for high-value care from the American College of Physicians and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Ann Intern Med 2016; 164:425.
- FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA advises restricting fluoroquinolone antibiotic use for certain uncomplicated infections; warns about disabling side effects that can occur together. Available at: www.fda.gov. Accessed October 12, 2017.
- J Aspa et al. Pneumococcal antimicrobial resistance: therapeutic strategy and management in community-acquired pneumonia. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2008; 9:229.
- LA Mandell et al. Infectious Diseases Society of America/American Thoracic Society consensus guidelines on the management of community-acquired pneumonia in adults. Clin Infect Dis 2007; 44 Suppl 2:S27.
- AD Mosholder et al. Cardiovascular risks with azithromycin and other antibacterial drugs. N Engl J Med 2013; 368:1665.
- DA Talan et al. Comparison of Staphylococcus aureus from skin and soft-tissue infections in US emergency department patients, 2004 and 2008. Clin Infect Dis 2011; 53:144.
- R Dantes et al. National burden of invasive methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections, United States, 2011. JAMA Intern Med 2013; 173:1970.
- DA Talan et al. Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole versus placebo for uncomplicated skin abscess. N Engl J Med 2016; 374:823.
- RS Daum et al. A placebo-controlled trial of antibiotics for smaller skin abcesses. N Engl J Med 2017; 376:2545.
- AJ Singer and DA Talan. Management of skin abscesses in the era of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. N Engl J Med 2014; 370:1039.
- C Liu et al. Clinical practice guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America for the treatment of methicillinresistant Staphylococcus aureus infections in adults and children: executive summary. Clin Infect Dis 2011; 52:285.
- Telavancin (Vibativ) for gram-positive skin infections. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2010; 52:1.
- Ceftaroline fosamil (Teflaro) - a new IV cephalosporin. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2011; 53:5.
- Two new drugs for skin and skin structure infections. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:73.
- Oritavancin (Orbactiv) for skin and skin structure infections. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:3.
- GS Moran et al. Effect of cephalexin plus trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole vs. cephalexin alone in clinical cure of uncomplicated cellulitis: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2017; 317:2088.
- DL Stevens et al. Practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of skin and soft tissue infections: 2014 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis 2014; 59:147.
- LE Nicolle et al. Infectious Diseases Society of America guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of asymptomatic bacteriuria in adults. Clin Infect Dis 2005; 40:643.
- K Gupta et al. International clinical practice guidelines for the treatment of acute uncomplicated cystitis and pyelonephritis in women: a 2010 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the European Society for Microbiology and Infectious Diseases. Clin Infect Dis 2011; 52:e103.
- Alternatives to fluoroquinolones. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2016; 58:75.
- TM Hooton. Clinical practice. Uncomplicated urinary tract infection. N Engl J Med 2012; 366:1028.
- FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA review finds additional data supports the potential for increased long-term risks with antibiotic clarithromycin (Biaxin) in patients with heart disease. Available at: www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/ucm597289.htm. Accessed March 7, 2018.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.