The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
- Baloxavir Marboxil (Xofluza) for Treatment of Influenza
- Rivaroxaban (Xarelto) plus Aspirin for Secondary Prevention of Cardiovascular Events
- Sodium Zirconium Cyclosilicate (Lokelma) for Hyperkalemia
- Angiotensin II (Giapreza) for Septic Shock
- Clarification: Management of Opioid Withdrawal Symptoms
- IV Aprepitant (Cinvanti) for Chemotherapy-Induced Nausea and Vomiting (online only)
- Juluca - A Two-Drug Complete Regimen for HIV (online only)
Baloxavir Marboxil (Xofluza) for Treatment of Influenza
December 3, 2018 (Issue: 1561)The FDA has approved baloxavir marboxil (Xofluza – Shionogi/Genentech), the first polymerase acidic (PA) endonuclease inhibitor, for single-dose, oral treatment of acute uncomplicated influenza in patients ≥12 years old. Baloxavir is the...more
- Antiviral drugs for seasonal influenza 2017-2018. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2018; 60:1.
- CDC. Influenza antiviral medications: summary for clinicians. Available at: www.cdc.gov. Accessed November 20, 2018.
- T Noshi et al. In vitro characterization of baloxavir acid, a first-in-class cap-dependent endonuclease inhibitor of the influenza virus polymerase PA subunit. Antiviral Res 2018; 160:109.
- FG Hayden et al. Baloxavir marboxil for uncomplicated influenza in adults and adolescents. N Engl J Med 2018; 379:913.
- MG Ison et al. Phase 3 trial of baloxavir marboxil in high risk influenza patients (CAPSTONE-2 Study). Presented at ID Week, San Francisco, CA, Oct 3-7, 2018. Abstract LB16. Available at: https://academic.oup.com. Accessed November 20, 2018.
- M Kitano et al. Synergistic antiviral activity of S-033188/S-033447, a novel inhibitor of influenza virus cap-dependent endonuclease, in combination with neuraminidase inhibitors in vitro. Open Forum Infect Dis 2017; 4:S371.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.