The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Twirla - A New Contraceptive Patch
February 8, 2021 (Issue: 1617)The FDA has approved Twirla (Agile Therapeutics), a transdermal contraceptive patch containing the estrogen ethinyl estradiol and the progestin levonorgestrel, for use in women with a BMI...more
- Committee on Practice Bulletins-Gynecology, Long-Acting Reversible Contraception Work Group. Practice bulletin No. 186: long-acting reversible contraception: implants and intrauterine devices. Obstet Gynecol 2017; 130:e251.
- Choice of contraceptives. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2018; 60:161.
- AL Nelson et al. Efficacy, safety, and tolerability of a levonorgestrel/ethinyl estradiol transdermal delivery system: phase 3 clinical trial results. Contraception 2020 Nov 28 (epub).
- AM Kaunitz et al. Low-dose levonorgestrel and ethinyl estradiol patch and pill: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol 2014; 123:295.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes and P-glycoprotein. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2020 September 10 (epub). Available at: medicalletter.org/downloads/CYP_PGP_Tables.pdf.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.