The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Drugs for Allergic Rhinitis and Allergic Conjunctivitis
April 19, 2021 (Issue: 1622)The choice of drugs for treatment of allergic rhinitis depends on the severity of symptoms and whether they are intermittent or persistent (see Table 1).
- MS Dykewicz et al. Rhinitis 2020: a practice parameter update. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2020; 146:721.
- BM Prenner. A review of the clinical efficacy and safety of MP-AzeFlu, a novel intranasal formulation of azelastine hydrochloride and fluticasone propionate, in clinical studies conducted during different allergy seasons in the US. J Asthma Allergy 2016; 9:135.
- FER Simons and KJ Simons. Histamine and H1-antihistamines: celebrating a century of progress. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011; 128:1139.
- MK Church et al. Risk of first-generation H(1)-antihistamines: a GA(2)LEN position paper. Allergy 2010; 65:459.
- MP McKay and L Groff. 23 years of toxicology testing fatally injured pilots: implications for aviation and other modes of transportation. Accid Anal Prev 2016; 90:108.
- Y Katayose et al. Carryover effect on next-day sleepiness and psychomotor performance of nighttime administered antihistaminic drugs: a randomized controlled trial. Hum Psychopharmacol 2012; 27:428.
- SL Gray et al. Cumulative use of strong anticholinergics and incident dementia: a prospective cohort study. JAMA Intern Med 2015; 175:401.
- P Ratner et al. Efficacy of daily intranasal fluticasone propionate on ocular symptoms associated with seasonal allergic rhinitis. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2015; 114:141.
- OTC fluticasone furoate nasal spray (Flonase Sensimist) for allergic rhinitis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017; 59:e70.
- DJ Mener et al. Topical intranasal corticosteroids and growth velocity in children: a meta-analysis. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol 2015; 5:95.
- M Krishnamoorthy et al. Efficacy of montelukast in allergic rhinitis treatment: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Drugs 2020; 80:1831.
- In brief: Neuropsychiatric events with montelukast. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2020; 62:65.
- In brief: Oral phenylephrine for nasal congestion. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:174.
- J Fowler et al. Rhinitis medicamentosa: a nationwide survery of Canadian otolaryngologists. J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2019; 48:70.
- B Lange et al. Efficacy, cost-effectiveness, and tolerability of mometasone furoate, levocabastine, and disodium cromoglycate nasal sprays in the treatment of seasonal allergic rhinitis. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2005; 95:272.
- S Tsabouri et al. Omalizumab for the treatment of inadequately controlled allergic rhinitis: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2014; 2:332.
- F Etwel et al. The risk of adverse pregnancy outcome after first trimester exposure to H1 antihistamines: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Drug Saf 2017; 40:121.
- NW Andersson et al. Association between fexofenadine use during pregnancy and fetal outcomes. JAMA Pediatr 2020; 174:e201316.
- NW Andersson et al. Desloratadine use during pregnancy and risk of adverse fetal outcomes: a nationwide cohort study. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2020; 8:1598.
- I Pali-Schöll et al. Allergic diseases and asthma in pregnancy, a secondary publication. World Allergy Organ J 2017; 10:10.
- A Berard et al. Intranasal triamcinolone use during pregnancy and the risk of adverse pregnancy outcomes. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2016; 138:97.
- W-P Yau et al. Use of decongestants during pregnancy and the risk of birth defects. Am J Epidemiol 2013; 178:198.
- M Shaker and E Salcone. An update on ocular allergy. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 2016; 16:505.
- Cetirizine ophthalmic solution (Zerviate) for allergic conjunctivitis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2020; 62:81.
- DM Varu et al. Conjunctivitis Preferred Practice Pattern. Ophthalmology 2019; 126:P94.
- JD Sheppard et al. Impact of the topical ophthalmic corticosteroid loteprednol etabonate on intraocular pressure. Adv Ther 2016; 33:532.
- K-H Hsu and A Chauhan. Rapid and selective removal of preservative from ophthalmic formulations during eyedrops instillation. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2015; 97:30.
- Sublingual immunotherapy for allergic rhinitis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:47.
- Odactra ― sublingual immunotherapy for house dust mite-induced allergic rhinitis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2018; 60:37.
- U Nurmatov et al. Allergen immunotherapy for allergic rhinoconjunctivitis: a systematic overview of systematic reviews. Clin Transl Allergy 2017; 7:24.
- SR Durham and M Penagos. Sublingual or subcutaneous immunotherapy for allergic rhinitis? J Allergy Clin Immunol 2016; 137:339.
- DI Bernstein and TEG Epstein. Safety of allergen immunotherapy in North America from 2008-2017: lessons learned from the ACAAI/AAAAI National Surveillance Study of adverse reactions to allergen immunotherapy. Allergy Asthma Proc 2020; 41:108.
- WA Shaikh and SW Shaikh. A prospective study on the safety of sublingual immunotherapy in pregnancy. Allergy 2012; 67:741.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.