The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
- Prevention and Treatment of Monkeypox
- Baricitinib (Olumiant) for Severe Alopecia Areata
- Nalmefene Returns for Reversal of Opioid Overdose
- Upadacitinib (Rinvoq): A Second JAK Inhibitor for Ulcerative Colitis
- A Fixed-Dose Combination of Finasteride and Tadalafil (Entadfi) for BPH (online only)
- In Brief: Edaravone Oral Suspension (Radicava ORS) for ALS (online only)
Prevention and Treatment of Monkeypox
September 5, 2022 (Issue: 1658)An outbreak of monkeypox has recently spread around the globe and across the US. Updated information about the current outbreak is available from the CDC.
- CDC. 2022 Monkeypox outbreak global map. August 16, 2022. Available at: https://bit.ly/3OPNVtC. Accessed August 17, 2022.
- CDC. Information for healthcare professionals. August 11, 2022. Available at: https://bit.ly/3zVackp. Accessed August 17, 2022.
- AK Rao et al. Use of Jynneos (smallpox and monkeypox vaccine, live, nonreplicating) for preexposure vaccination of persons at risk for occupational exposure to orthopoxviruses: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices – United States, 2022. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2022; 71:734.
- CDC. Vaccination strategies. August 9, 2022. Available at: https://bit.ly/3dcObpq. Accessed August 17, 2022.
- PR Pittman et al. Phase 3 efficacy trial of modified vaccinia Ankara as a vaccine against smallpox. N Engl J Med 2019; 381:1897.
- FDA News Release. Monkeypox update: FDA authorizes emergency use of JYNNEOS vaccine to increase vaccine supply. August 9, 2022. https://bit.ly/3C85bYy. Accessed August 17, 2022.
- A Sherwat et al. Tecovirimat and the treatment of Monkeypox - past, present, and future considerations. N Engl J Med 2022 August 3 (epub).
- CDC. Interim clinical guidance for the treatment of monkeypox. July 28, 2022. Available at: https://bit.ly/3QaWXmz. Accessed August 17, 2022.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.