The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
- Andexxa - An Antidote for Apixaban and Rivaroxaban
- Erenumab (Aimovig) for Migraine Prevention
- Meropenem/Vaborbactam (Vabomere) for Complicated Urinary Tract Infection
- In Brief: A Potentially Fatal Immune Reaction to Lamotrigine
- In Brief: Pitavastatin Magnesium (Zypitamag) for Hyperlipidemia
- A New Amphetamine Oral Suspension (Adzenys ER) for ADHD (online only)
- In Brief: Another Insulin Lispro (Admelog) for Diabetes (online only)
Andexxa - An Antidote for Apixaban and Rivaroxaban
June 18, 2018 (Issue: 1549)Coagulation factor Xa (recombinant), inactivated-zhzo (andexanet alfa; Andexxa – Portola) has received accelerated approval from the FDA for urgent reversal of the anticoagulant effect of the direct factor Xa inhibitors apixaban (Eliquis) and...more
- Idarucizumab (Praxbind) – an antidote for dabigatran. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:157.
- Edoxaban (Savaysa) – the fourth new oral anticoagulant. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:43.
- Betrixaban (Bevyxxa) for VTE prophylaxis in acute medical illness. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2018; 60:4.
- Which oral anticoagulant for atrial fibrillation? Med Lett Drugs Ther 2016; 58:45.
- A Majeed et al. Management of rivaroxaban- or apixaban-associated major bleeding with prothrombin complex concentrates: a cohort study. Blood 2017; 130:1706.
- JH Levy et al. Reversal agents for non-vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulants. Nat Rev Cardiol 2018; 15:273.
- DM Siegal et al. Andexanet alfa for the reversal of factor Xa inhibitor activity. N Engl J Med 2015; 373:2413.
- SJ Connolly et al. Andexanet alfa for acute major bleeding associated with factor Xa inhibitors. N Engl J Med 2016; 375:1131.
- SJ Connolly et al. ANNEXA-4 suggests experimental drug controls bleeding in patients taking factor Xa inhibitors. Presented at ACC.18, Orlando, FL, March 10-12, 2018. Available at: bit.ly/2xN62y5. Accessed June 7, 2018.
- S Kaatz et al. Reversing factor Xa inhibitors – clinical utility of andexanet alfa. J Blood Med 2017; 8:141.
- M Sartori and B Cosmi. Andexanet alfa to reverse the anticoagulant activity of factor Xa inhibitors: a review of design, development and potential place in therapy. J Thromb Thrombolysis 2018; 45:345.
- Approximate WAC for the high-dose regimen (bolus dose plus one 120-minute infusion). WAC = wholesaler acquisition cost or manufacturer's published price to wholesalers; WAC represents a published catalogue or list price and may not represent an actual transactional price. Source: AnalySource® Monthly. June 5, 2018. Reprinted with permission by First Databank, Inc. All rights reserved. ©2018. www.fdbhealth.com/policies/drug-pricing-policy.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.