The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
June 1, 2020
Subscribers: Log in to read full issue. Not a subscriber? Subscribe or purchase issue.
In Brief: Respiratory Depression with Gabapentinoids
June 1, 2020 (Issue: 1599)The FDA has required new warnings in the labels of gabapentin (Neurontin, and others) and pregabalin (Lyrica, Lyrica CR, and generics) about the risk of life-threatening or fatal respiratory depression in patients with respiratory risk factors....more
- FDA. FDA warns about serious breathing problems with seizure and nerve pain medicines gabapentin (Neurontin, Gralise, Horizant) and pregabalin (Lyrica, Lyrica CR). Available at: https://bit.ly/3e8w6nK. Accessed May 21, 2020.
- Nonopioid drugs for pain. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2018; 60:24.
- Drugs for anxiety disorders. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2019; 61:121.
- Drugs for chronic insomnia. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2018; 60:201.
- Oxybutynin for hot flashes in women with breast cancer. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2019; 61:30.
- T Gomes et al. Gabapentin, opioids, and the risk of opioid-related death: a population-based nested case-control study. PLoS Med 2017; 14:e1002396.
- R Hill et al. Oxycodone-induced tolerance to respiratory depression: reversal by ethanol, pregabalin and protein kinase C inhibition. Br J Pharmacol 2018; 175:2492.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.